The Great Repeal Bill.

old man emu

While the repeal of laws made pursuant to the European Communities Act 1972 seems to be a whizzo idea, such an action would leave Great Britain in a legal vacuum, as there are roughly 20,000 pieces of EU law which would disappear with the midnight chime of Big Ben on the day Great Britain exited the EU.

In order to overcome this legal catastrophe, which would throw myriads of solicitors, QCs and M'Luds onto the unemployment scrapheap where they would have to mix with the unwashed masses, The Great Repeal Bill will simply say, "If a law made pursuant to the European Communities Act 1972 exists on the day that Great Britain exits the EU, then the law will become a law of Great Britain."

So, the Great Repeal Bill looks like it could be one of the shortest length Bills ever assented to by the Crown. However, any law of Great Britain can be repealed by the Parliament, so the big battles will be fought over each and every minute law in the years following Brexit.

OME

OH. . .WE HAVE no doubt at all. . .that MY UNELECTED LORDS will have a few things to say about this. . .GOOD ! it's about time that the 850 odd lordie poiticalplacemen have a chance to justify their £300.00 PER DAY for just signing in. . .which most of them do for the money, and the just jump on a train and go back to their mansions in the country. . .without debating or voting on anything at all,. . .which doesn't affect them directly,. . .take for example, Lord Michael Heseltine,. . . A failed Cabinet Miinster in theThatcher Government who helped to get Margaret Thatcher removed from office. . .this asswipe . benefits from £900.000 of EU money per annum in Farm subsidies . . . . but the BBC, when having him on their 'News' programmes , ( They do this with ANYBODY WHO IS NOT ANTI- EU ). . .never ask if he has a FINANCIAL interest in remaining in the Eu. . . .this the way things are going in the UK, with an over compliant BBC to make sure thst these charlatans and traitors to the British cause get all the airtime. . . . My older relatives recall a time whe treachery to your country resulted in the hangmans's noose. . .

Now,. . .we see these scum on the BBC every day,. . .spouting their bile. . . . .

• 3 weeks later...
While the repeal of laws made pursuant to the European Communities Act 1972 seems to be a whizzo idea, such an action would leave Great Britain in a legal vacuum, as there are roughly 20,000 pieces of EU law which would disappear with the midnight chime of Big Ben on the day Great Britain exited the EU.

In order to overcome this legal catastrophe, which would throw myriads of solicitors, QCs and M'Luds onto the unemployment scrapheap where they would have to mix with the unwashed masses, The Great Repeal Bill will simply say, "If a law made pursuant to the European Communities Act 1972 exists on the day that Great Britain exits the EU, then the law will become a law of Great Britain."

So, the Great Repeal Bill looks like it could be one of the shortest length Bills ever assented to by the Crown. However, any law of Great Britain can be repealed by the Parliament, so the big battles will be fought over each and every minute law in the years following Brexit.

OME

Bang on there OME. . .apart from the bit about 'Minute Laws' ALL having to be unpicked. . . . Much of the legislation passed over the past forty years was already LAW in the UK. Many other laws, covering all manner of things were put forward for consideration by the UK anyway. . .there has been a lot of talk about 'Losing' employment protection laws too . . .if people would just take the time to check, it isn't difficult, the documents are all open to examine. . . they would find that these laws were already in place, before the EU placed their stamp on the folder and described it thereafter as an EU Diktat.. As was a whole raft of other assorted legislation also.

Those who wish to oppose leaving the EU however, keep banging the drum about this. . . I feel sorry for 'some' Civil Servants, who may actually have to do some proper work in this regard. . .

Gordon Brown, when Prime Minister, stuffed the Civil Service with politicised placemen. around 30,000 of them I believe. .. when things were running quite smoothly when they were not there. . .let the buggers EARN their index linked pensions !

I am not so sure all laws will have to be unpicked, but they will have to be addressed over time. I am currently working in regulatory compliance with a "new" set of EU laws. It results in the local "competent authority", e.g, the CAA, implementing their rule books which we have to follow. This is level 3; this is implemented on the basis of the reg tech specs and implementing tech specs o the EU's competent authority (let's say EASA), which is level 2; This is usually an attempt to provide an as far as possible practical interpretation of what is usually an impractical regulation or directive from the Commission/Parliament (Level 1 regulation). In theory, all the UK has to do for most is give absolute legal affect to the level 3 regulation that is the responsibility of the UK's regulating body. In theory, anyway (and of course rule that the high court is the ultimate legal court of appeal or something like that).

Of course, the UK's authorities rule book nowadays just references more often than not, the various provisions in the L2 and L1 regulations.... and the L1 and L2 regulations are written as bad imitations of 16th century UK acts of parliament - overly verbose, impossible to comprehend and contradictory.

What the whole regulatory regime does is create a massive compliance industry that is not required. My guess is there is about 50% of the team I am working with not required under a simple reg system, and we are doing ours on a shoestring budget compared to others in our industry. They literally keep track of the various interpretations and inconsistencies between the 3 levels and keep us ipdated.

I worked on a reg complaince project in Aus in the same industry although on a different subject matter and while Aus has its different levels of reg as well, the regulating authority put in more or less plain words what was required in its delegated legislation. An email in interpretation could be emailed to the regulator which was responded to usually within a day... Oh - and it was apparent the regulators in Aus knew their industry - the regulator here "knows" one facet of their industry and thinks it applies to all facets of their industry (e.g. knows the airline business and makes regulations appropriate to that and applies it to the light GA industry - which it did, decimated the industry and has only in the last two years been reversing it).

I am in theory supportive of an integrated and federated Europe that includes the UK. But like most political institutions, they go for a land grab to justify expansions of budget, employees and reams and reams of meaningless and incomprehensible regulation. They are an out of control behemoth that needs reigning in. Mr Trump thinks he can succeed with a treaty where Obama couldn't - good luck getting 27 multi-opinionated countries on side.

(Edit: I, in no way, shape or form, suggest CASA know anything about any aviation, but at least its consistent across all sectors of aviation)