What is the answer to this ecclesiastic question?

old man emu

"Come, tell me why is Christmas Day the greatest of the year?

"How is it that around the world we celebrate that day

"And send a name upon a card to those who're far away?

"Why is it wandering ones return with smiles and greetings, too?"

OME

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep this up and Ian is going to have to start a new, Forum for Hitchikers Guide tragics!

I wonder if Ian will out-source that task to a Vogon construction company?

And, just to let you know, the initial quote does not come from Ford Prefect, F.J. Holden or the Dodge Brothers.

OME

"Come, tell me why is Christmas Day the greatest of the year?

"How is it that around the world we celebrate that day

"And send a name upon a card to those who're far away?

"Why is it wandering ones return with smiles and greetings, too?"

OME

I'm disappointed in you blokes. spacer.png

This question has been seeking an answer all weekend yet no one has been able to state one of the basic tenets of Christianity. spacer.png

If you can't get the answer, I'm going to ask Ian to make me a moderator on this site and I'll mod all your posts into oblivion. Give me the answer by tonight, or I'm calling in the Vogons!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to think culture was knowing where to have the knives and forks arranged and can tie a tie, etc. It's just a dissertation on the weird things people do in different parts of the world

. I don't watch or follow football. I don't eat meat pies but used to be a connoisseur of them and I avoid Kangaroos. I've only hit 3 of them and I've never owned a Holden car and I went to an AFL club a couple of times and saw these Christ- like figures swanning around that I guess were the players. So you can see I lack culture and am a hopeless case, probably beyond redemption. I did try once . I watched a grand final and Geelong were playing and they were so bad, I was convinced they had been paid to drop the ball. Nev

Sort of fits into the definition of a Cult. Same thing happens in country towns. Replaces religion for some and there is great force applying to coerce you into participation or support.. Some of the so called "bonding" behaviour is very questionable and not much to be proud of. Pete , If you aren't cynical in old age you have been in your own world, dreaming. Nev

Thanks, Nev. I think.

But are you assuming that I have reached 'old age', based on the depth of my cynicism? Maybe I should soften up?

I don't think that I am a typical grumpy old man. Although my offspring probably dispute that. I think of myself as a happy, cynical bloke. The cynicism comes from long term observations of politicians promises, and business promises, and idealists attempts. And the inevitable suboptimal end results that seem to be predictable to me, but surprising to others.

OME. Christmas day was really the feast of the winter solstice and easter was the feast of spring.

They both pre-dated christianity but were taken over.

Well who can blame those early christians?

Do you realise that the names of the days of the week and also the months of the year also pre-dated christianity?

Do you realise that the names of the days of the week and also the months of the year also pre-dated christianity?

Sunday = Sun's day (not surprisingly)

Monday = Moon day

Tuesday = Tiw's Day (Tiw being a one-handed god associated with single combat and pledges in Norse and Germanic mythology)

Wednesday = Woden's day (another Norse god)

Thursday = Thor's Day (day of thunder). Donnerstag in Germany, literally "thunder day"

Friday = Frige's day (Anglo-Saxon goddess)

Saturday = Saturn's day (Roman god this time).

An etymology of month names can be found here - Calendar Name Origins - Month - all Greek or Roman in origin.