Quo vadis, Aldi?

old man emu

I was just wondering how Brexit will impact on Aldi in Great Britain. Surely the competition in the form of Marks&Spencers, Tesco and Waitrose will have wider fields from which to source their products. They will no longer be tied to EU agricultural constraints.

In Sydney I think I can hear knocking sounds coming from a northwesterly direction. Is it the sound of the Australian Primary Producers knocking on the doors or British victualers offering meat, milk and eggs at realistic prices and a sales slogan of "Yell for Aussie meat ... you'll never get hoarse!"?

Do I hear the gears of the spinning wheels of the Midlands creaking into motion as Australian wool and cotton is fed into them?

The EU is dead! Long live the BC!

OME

I don't get it. It's all Greek to me.

You seem to have forgotten that LIDL were the first Jerman supermarket Here in the UK Sir ! . . . our local one here in Cannock told the local council to go forth and multiply, when aforesaid councillors tried to Triple their rent and business rates at the same time, as it was obvious that they were making a stonking fortune selling good quality products ( even though, initially we couldn't read what was in the tins and packets. . .) at ridiculously cheap prices when compared to Tesco, Sainsbury's and a few other UK nationals ( which have now gone out of business )

Prior to barcode scanning cash registers, the (mainly) lady operators at the sharp end were paid astronomical wages compared with other places, as they were required to actually MEMORIZE all of the prices, handraulically entering same into the register. . . and If you ever saw one of these wonderful operators actually working, it would have 'Like, blown your mind man. . . . they worked like a dervish, chucking the stuff into your trolley and very rarely got it wrong,. . .I know, as I used to shop at the first one which opened in Brownhills, Staffordshire. A 4.5 mile each way drive, but worth the diesel for the silly low prices.

( Please don't giggle about the Nine Mile round trip folks,. . .in UK urban terms, that would be unheard of nowadays just to 'Go Shoppin'. . . .)

We now have two Large Tesco supermarkets located less than 3KM apart, but they are being chased by several other El-Cheapo operators such as B+M Bargains, which are nealry as low cost as Aldi / Lidl, these are Pakistani owned, but have not quite got the buying power of their German owned opposition.

Though if Deutchebank IS actually allowed to fail,. . .and I sincerely hope that it does not, as this would be horrendous for millions of ordinary decent working folks in Europe, the supermarket situation may well alter. Although if this should happen, I think that there will be a lot more to think about than shopping. . .( They've just asked for a 150Billion Euro bailout from the EU. . . anyway, I digress. . . . wrong thread. )

In the meantime,. . .vive La Cheapo baked beans ( £0.13 for a large tinnie ) and good quality sliced white or brown bread for our toast and marmalade in the mawnins. . £0.49 per large loaf.

You can keep yer quo vadis, . . .I KNOW where I'm goin'. . . .

Speaking of large loafs. . .I'm off for a loaf on the couch to watch the tennis and F1 highlights. . . .Tarrah. . .!

I was just wondering how Brexit will impact on Aldi in Great Britain. Surely the competition in the form of Marks&Spencers, Tesco and Waitrose will have wider fields from which to source their products. They will no longer be tied to EU agricultural constraints.

In Sydney I think I can hear knocking sounds coming from a northwesterly direction. Is it the sound of the Australian Primary Producers knocking on the doors or British victualers offering meat, milk and eggs at realistic prices and a sales slogan of "Yell for Aussie meat ... you'll never get hoarse!"?

Do I hear the gears of the spinning wheels of the Midlands creaking into motion as Australian wool and cotton is fed into them?

The EU is dead! Long live the BC! OME

"Do I hear the gears of the spinning wheels of the Midlands creaking into motion as Australian wool and cotton is fed into them?

OME, . . . Ayoop mate. . .Ah think thee may be getting mixed oop 'ere lad,. . .T'Midlands weren't T' spinnin' capital, Nay lad, that were Lancashire an' Wonderful YORKSHIRE . . !

I don't get it. It's all Greek to me.

When I was forcibly ejected from that wonderful ship the 'Ellinis' with it's utterly fantastic food, cooked by world class maritime chefs, Lobster A La Thermidor, with Olympic Flame Ice cream cake for dessert, paraded by a long line of smartly turned out waiters into the dining room in darkness, with the ice cream ablaze from the brandy fumes. . . .I tried my best to get another round trip, Oz - UK - Oz. . .so that his one month long immersement into hitherto unknown culinary delights would never end. . . . . I had already absorbed a few useful phrases and words of Greek,. . . .and these held me in good stead, in my first ever Australian emplyoment as a welder on high rise construction in the centre of Melbourne. Since most of my associate workers were also Greek. I learned a lot there. . . .

Since my reluctant return to Blighty, I have had the pleasure of visiting several Greek Islands, where this eddification came in useful.

So, since I regard you as a close friend and confidante,. . .I shall teach you a little phonetic Greek. No,. . no need to thank me in anticipation,. . .it's OK.

Hello. : GhiaSoo. ( Sound the G softly, as if you were about to say the letter K,. . and sort of half breath it. . .)

Good Morning : Kali mera.

Good afternoon : Kali spera

Good Night : Kali nichta.

Feelaymoo Kalleh : My good friend.

Parakalo : Please.

OK that's enough for now. . .I shall continue this theme at a later time.

( I would honestly like to know what a deck officer meant when I clumsily tripped him up on the main stairway one morning, causing him to spill his boillion all over his white uniform and the stairs,. . . He said something like : Μπάσταρδε. . Σας ηλίθιο λίπος ανόητος! κοίτα τι έχετε κάνει τώρα - μαλάκα )

I often wonder about that.

See how useful it is having multi-linguistical mates ? ?

For all you EXPATS. . .( Do any of you actually Know anyone called Pat ? )

Here's a BBC film from bloody yonks ago,. . .narrated by Telly Savalas ( Lord only knows what he got paid for doing this. . . .probably as much as fifty quid I wouldn't wonder. . . )

Well I enjoy hoarse meat. . . Always used to head for the Boucherie Chevaline as a first stop when in France. Can't understand why people find eating horse any different from consuming cow, sheep, pig, goat etc.

(Sorry, OME. Good pun :)

Geez, Phil!

I was hoping that you'd pick up the bit of punning gold - Yell for Aussie meat ... you'll never get hoarse!

OME

I didn't miss it Mate. . . I was lookin' for an embedded subliminal message, but Fear Not, I got it. That's the mane thing.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what "chicken pox" is in French?

Once I had to host a French gliding club president at Gawler and he had no English. At that time our office lady spoke fluent French, so I agreed on condition she would act as interpreter.

Well on the big day, the office lady had chicken-pox and only came to fix up the weekend paperwork before going home to bed.

So I had to tell Henri " Notre secretaire, elle avez le poulet-pox" in my schoolboy French.

Well I don't know to this day just what I said, but it sure frightened hell out of Henri.