Tassie State Election 2024.

Jerry_Atrick

Whoa back there Nev, a lot of people care about the running of the state and I think that the result of a hung parliament proves this. 

They didn't vote blindly along party lines and the Green vote increased so I don't think the result is as bad as it could have been.

• Informative 1

Why all the hand wringing about a hung parliament?

I think it is good.

It forces the parties to DEBATE the virtues of their decisions.

If there is merit, all elected parties can support a decision instead of simply arguing on the grounds of 'we had a mandate to do whatever we like' vs 'we oppose it because we are in opposition'.

If we get over a love affair with the 2 party system, we would have democracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Marty,That's the latest thing  everyones claiming EVEN SKY,  so it can't be  "Correct".  a "Party" can Formulate Policies. The Greens  can propose anything as they'll never be the Majority to LIVE with extremes. The Mainly Pinch Labor voters rather than go after the Ones who hate them with a Passion. The Libs and NP. They'll preference Labor ahead of the greens and have. Greens often side with the  Lib NP and vote WITH them. Go figure that one.. I like Bob Brown He's a man of TRUTH and Principle.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Oh by the way Eric A Betz got #1 place in the senate. in Taswegia.  How do you explain that to the rest of Australia with a straight face?  Nev

That is something I don't understand. Don't blame me, I'd never vote that way.. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

34 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Oh by the way Eric A Betz got #1 place in the senate. in Taswegia.  How do you explain that to the rest of Australia with a straight face?  Nev

He's got a lot of name recognition and as previously stated, there are many pockets of conservative people down here.  I made sure I put him at #31 on the ticket and worked my way backwards.

This happens everywhere though.  Victoria hasn't been immune from dodgy conservatives either, nor has NSW - you kind of expect them in QLD because they've had so many.

I'm not sure of what you're trying to get at by slamming minority government.  Yes a party can formulate policy but at least in a minority government  they HAVE to negotiate with the cross bench to get that through.  If you had the LNP with a majority government I would find that far worse.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

marty I don't even SLAM doors. I will forever be indebted to the "Independant's who got rid of Howard And the Mad Monk. Both EX PMS and in  good solid LIBERAL electorates and the excellent LADY Helen Haines who got rid of Sophie Mirabella.. GOOD women candidates don't last long in the LNP.  Tim Wilsons latest preselection against TWO women candidates in Goldstein speaks volumes, in that regard.   .Nev