No bull - no bullbar

old man emu

My eample of a particular Mitsubisi with a bent chassis is only one of many for all car brands around 2010. Google it. In his case, the mitsubishi authorised dealer arranged the modifications. Would the buyer expect the dealer to supply a new vehicle fitted (by them) with unauthorised modifications which void the warranty?

Edited by nomadpete
  • Informative 1

Yeah, we would often fit parts that were not approved.
we would normally tell them about aftermarket parts effecting warranty as part of the order.
was one of the ways we sold more genuine then aftermarket gear (fit and finish was the main reason).

we fitted illegal parts too (tail tidy's with the indicators too close, "race only" exhaust systems)

if the customer wanted it, we would source and fit it.
but only thing we warranted was the work we provided - everything else was on the parts manufacturer.

happened at every dealer I worked at.

now the key. and what isnt talked about is the dealer relationship with the manufacturer.

we got so many questionable claims through under good will. If we could prove that the customer had only been servicing at our dealership it was a golden ticket with warranty approval. We only ever saw the bike for warranty work after the 1st service - yeah, your not getting any favors done.

also warranty pays crap - its done at an approved rate for an approved flat time. basically break even
so its not something dealerships want to schedule, much rather do customer paid work - this is why you often hear "take it to the dealer you purchased it from"

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, old man emu said:

In most of the Eastern States, feral pigs are rare compared to wombats.

Except for Queensland. Feral pigs are common and there's only a couple of small, endangered colonies of the northern hairy nosed wombat. To see a wombat here you need to go to a zoo. I've heard the wombats are pretty solid and not good if you hit one.

• Informative 1

Airbags are the worst thing ever invented for suspension "improvement", and they only try to solve a problem that shouldn't happen in the first place - excessive tray overhang behind the rear axle, coupled with overloading.

Airbags merely concentrate the weight in the centre of the chassis arch over the axle, and this is a guaranteed recipe for a bent chassis. The 'net is full of photos of "bent dual cab utes", and the repairers have a great time plating chassis' to try and get around the problem. However, plating usually only transfers the problem to somewhere else - failed wheelstuds, chassis bends behind the axle, instead of in front of it, and bent axle housings or damaged towbar mountings.

Few people understand if you overload a vehicle, hook up a trailer or camper, do 100kmh with it on rough roads, drop into a washout, spoon drain, or even a sharp dip in the road - the loading on chassis and axle components, more than doubles!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Mitsubishi are well known to lose the space behind the cab, ,when it sags under load in the  ' tub ' .

My Isuzu ' Jackaroo ' had ' up-graded suspension & tyres ',  so no problems with it's roobar .

When getting hit by at least 5 roos,  all at the same time , you get pushed sideways,  then the car is lifted off it's wheels when those roo's go under the vehicle,  control is not very effective. 

Why five roo's,  that's the number we had to pull off the highway. 

I have reread this four times due to A I changing words ( roo to room )

spacesailor

• Like 2