GOING FROM DEMOCRACY TO DICTATORSHIP

Bruce Tuncks

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

There were 12,000 ft cu and the thermals were visible! Well you could see a very-wide column of dust going gradually to yellow to about 7,0000 ft Then above this, you could see the cumulus.

Dust is a lot rarer now days with the Buffel grass taking the area over. The greenies hate it, but it's sure cut the dust storms down.

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

Side-slipping into land back on topic, what politicians fail to realise that in a democracy we delegate various tasks so that a society is the sum of its parts. When we have elections, we are going through a staff selection process. Once chosen by the majority of the electors, a public official becomes the employee of the electorate. They are not the master of the electorate. The electorate is quite within its rights to sack an underperformer, and there's not "unfair dismissal" crap.

Perhaps over the door of the Members' Entrance to the Chamber of Parliament should be written large; "O quam cito transit gloria mundi "  (Oh how quickly the glory of the world passes away.)

Far from our form of democracy, but under the old Soviet system, Soviet members could vote to recall their Soviet representatives and replace them if they under-performed. I recon it would have been more in theory than practice. I think candidates would have been determined by the party, so they most likely had to vote for who the party wanted, and not select the candidates themselves (sounds familiar). A Soviet could be as large as a republic or region, or as small as factory workplace. It would be a bit like if we elected a couple of trade union representatives at our workplace, then off they went to state or federal parliament.

• Like 2

Nev .

I was a young ' Apprentice ' . At 17 years old . ( 1959 ) .

As I started Work at 14 , & the apprenticeship didn't start untill you were 16 y o .

A differant world in the ' old ' days .

But

I wouldn't like to be back in those ' cold ' days.  Big fogs , big snow . & Every one burning COAL .

spacesailor