The sad result of ignoring flood warnings.

old man emu

Often times, especially when the collision has happened on rural roads, the person you have to charge is a really decent person. But on the other side of the coin, the person killed or maimed for life is likely to be  decent person, too. Or worse, a family member of the driver.

Decent people are decent because they are truly remorseful for the results of their actions. The Courts take that into consideration. How do we treat the elderly person who failed to identify another vehicle coming from the side, and as a result of the collision they lose their Life's partner?

One of the old proofs of "dangerous driving", which is one of the elements to be proved by the Crown, is what was called 'momentary inattention'. Look down at your instrument panel while driving into a collision, and you are driving dangerously.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Intent or gross negligence should be part of it.  There's plenty of Rude and thoughtless driving about. Plenty doing "Way over " the limit not just a couple of Kms. A colour code should be used on the edge as well as a sign. I believe that's done in the UK. Sleepy drivers. You see them wandering now and again.  Nev

One of tne main problems is that people do not look far enough ahead. Therir attention is fixed on the front of the bonnet. I don't know if it stems from my flying training, where you keep your eye out for other traffic, but I often see obstacles or situations way before the driver. Just  today I glimpsed a flashig light about 5-600 metres ahead. mentioned it to the driver who took a few seconds to see it. As it turned out, it was on the back of a garbage truck, but could have been any other emergency vehicle. The same goes for cars parked in the kerbside lane.

Watching Surveillence Australia: Dashcam. A couple driving along in their 4wd, when a car parked on the side of the road pulled out and did a U-turn in front of them without signalling. The driver of the turning car obviously did not check for traffic. Bam! T-bone. Another car driving along merrily, approaching a green light. All of a sudden a car in the cross street moves forward against the red. I saw it in time to have stopped, but the driver of the car with the cam did not. Bam! T-bone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2