1965 Triumph Speed Twin For Sale

Guest john

This matching numbered bike has the 500cc unit construction engine & 4 speed gearbox. It has been restored & upgraded with many new components as follows: Electronic ignition, electronic regulator, rewired to12volt conversion, digital voltmeter , external oil filter, external fuel filter, idiot ignition light, trafficators. The paintwork is 9/10, chrome wheels, & the bike is in good condition. $12250.00. Enquiries Ph: 0428151381

Is it aerobatic.

That brings back memories. I had a non-unit construction model which pumped out 25 hp.

That was my first engine build. I followed Phil Irving's adviceand managed to squeeze around 55 hp out of it.

Got a season out of it and came third in a heat of the Victorian Championships, but next heat it went to that great engine ground in the sky with a rod through the side

Got a season out of it and came third in a heat of the Victorian Championships, but next heat it went to that great engine ground in the sky with a rod through the side

Well I don't think the CASA should impose any limitations on these, because obviously it is due to the pilot management and maintenance skill level that is the cause of the problem. Even though 50% of all of these engines I've heard about are stuffed....

If it hadn't been for Triumph Meridan building motorbikes & aircraft components during the Second World War, we would all be pulling RICKSHAWS now & eating RICE .spacer.png

If Harley Triumph (Meriden) built an aircraft would you fly in it .......

If it hadn't been for Triumph Meridan building motorbikes & aircraft components during the Second World War, we would all be pulling RICKSHAWS now & eating RICE .spacer.png

DH Mosquito - built in Australia

Beaufighter - built in Australia

Curtiss Kittyhawk - built in the USA

Brewster Buffalo - built in the USA

CAC 13 Boomerang - built in Australia

CAC Wirraway - built in Australia

B25 Mitchell - built in the USA

PBY Catalina - built in the USA

Short Sunderland - built in England

DH Dragon, Rapide, Auster - commandeered from pre-war owners

DH Tiger Moth - built in Australia

Supermarine Spitfire - built in England.

I think we have to thank the Lend Lease policy more than the British aviation industry for our military aviation capability and fast food diet.

Old Man Emu

It's a pity no one has ever written a comprehensive book on what really happened.

I don't doubt that all the British motorcycle companies would have made superhuman contributions. Phil Irving who became Chief Engineer at Vincent, spent a lot of time designing and perfecting a two cylinder two stroke aluminum life raft engine. The life rafts were strapped to the belly of the bomber and dropped when the crew bailed out, and had quite a high speed requirement.

Freighter Industries in Adelaide converted their semi trailer/bus factory to the manufacture of tank turrets.

The auto companies in Detroit, within weeks ceased all private car manufacture and converted the production lines to aircraft and other war items, then at the end of the war, again within weeks, converted the lines back to cars - a magnificent effort forgotten today.

In the movie about the time when Princess Diana was killed, the Queen is shown going off in a Land Rover to think, and gets stuck in a rocky creek. She phones one of the people at Balmoral and asks them to bring out something to tow the land rover out of the creek, and bring out a replacement prop shaft. The Balmoral guy says "How do you know the prop saft's broken". She says "I used to be a truck mechanic in the War

Guest Deskpilot1

Enough of the tread drift guys, back on subject.

I don't know sufficient really to comment but$12,25o.00 seems awfully high for a bike that is not 100% as new condition. How-ever, I hope you get a descent response from some-one John.

Perhaps a photo or three would help your sale.

I have amongst my junk, a chrome-plated Pyrene fire extinguisher and mounting bracket in good condition which was standard equipment and came off a London Metropolitan Police Triumph Speed Twin circa late 1950's.

Why do we hang onto things like this?

All the Met Police bikes were maroon in colour, and seemed quite heavy in comparison to the Jap bikes made these days.

I got the extinguisher around the time that my cousin and I fitted a heavy 500cc single cylinder Matchless engine to a home-made canoe with outrigger which is probably still sitting on the bottom of the River Thames somewhere, but that's another story.

fitted a heavy 500cc single cylinder Matchless engine to a home-made canoe with outrigger which is probably still sitting on the bottom of the River Thames somewhere, but that's another story.

Had a quiet smile at the probable resting place of the canoe. I'd reckon that most of us have a similar 'canoe at the bottom of the Thames' failed project in our memory bank closet. My worst folly was my first marriage (I opened the wrong tool box). spacer.png cheers riley

• 2 weeks later...