16th April, 275 years ago

old man emu

Today, 16th April 2021 is the 275th anniversary of the Battle of Culloden, the final confrontation of the Jacobite rising of 1745. On 16 April 1746, the Jacobite army of Charles Edward Stuart was decisively defeated by a British government force under William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, on Drummossie Moor near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands. It was the last pitched battle fought on British soil.

The battle lasted only an hour, with the Jacobites suffering a bloody defeat; between 1,500 and 2,000 Jacobites were killed or wounded, while about 300 government soldiers were killed or wounded. Following up on the military success won by their forces, the British Government enacted laws further to integrate Scotland – specifically the Scottish Highlands – with the rest of Britain.  Anti-clothing measures were taken against the highland dress by an Act of Parliament in 1746. The result was that the wearing of tartan was banned except as a uniform for officers and soldiers in the British Army and later landed men and their sons.

Culloden (1964), a BBC TV docudrama written and directed by Peter Watkins, depicts the battle in the style of 20th-century television reporting.

• Informative 1

It was the most absolutely dreadful event to ever befall the Scottish Clans. Even today, many people reckon Culloden Moor is haunted, and that you can still hear the cries of the mortally wounded.

Lord Cumberland was rightfully known as the "Butcher of Northumberland" for his brutal, Gestapo-style tactics, designed to break the Scottish clan system, and "civilise" the Scots.

But Lord Cumberland would rate as the most uncivilised rampant warmonger, the world had seen in a long time. In todays world he would've been executed for war crimes.

https://spookyscotland.net/haunted-culloden/

• Agree 1

OME you’ve opened up an old wound.

Culloden still haunts me, as if I had been one of those frightened young fighters there on that cold, muddy battlefield. 

In the fifty-odd years since I watched this unique film on TV as an impressionable teenager I have seen many terrible things, but nothing portrays the horror of war more than this unique film.

His film-making style was too real for that time, with the televising of the Vietnam War and we never heard of Peter Watkins again.

• Like 1

AND

The defeated Scot s went on to rule England.

Gave the English their "' union jack )  & us heathens a nice new bible, )  James the 1st of Scotland & England !.

I think a lot of English were horified,  But l can,t recall offhand the Last English monach.

( Plantaginats ,  exiled to an island of France ? )

spacesailor