Desirable residences

octave

Wouldn't mind buying this place.  I am quite familiar with this place, the control tower is in a suburban street, The new tower is also in a suburban street.

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/old-airport-control-tower-turned-home-for-sale-in-new-zealand/?rsf=ps%3Afacebook%3Anews%3Anat&fbclid=IwAR21t3zEYE2viswMXoakTYfSctQySyfj8U9q_J8fJrbLQuOeuv_GeG5pyMU

Edited by octave
  • Like 2

Actually the description probably makes this property look not quite so desirable given the asbestos problem and need to earthquake proof this building .

"A historical air-traffic control tower next to Wellington’s airport is for sale, on a prime hillside plot of property with “unbeatable views” of the town and harbour. Built in 1959, the old tower served for 60 years before its replacement was built farther down the road, according to its listing.

“If the views and character aren’t enough to hook you, the tower is believed to be the only one in the world to have a residential address and its own letterbox,” the company says.

But DIY-ers beware: the tower will take some work before it’s a home for any aviation enthusiast. First and foremost it’s full of asbestos, the listing says, and also requires some earthquake-proofing. This is New Zealand after all.

And if you do want to convert it to a home, it might be an interesting transition.

The tower “boasts many of its original 1957 design features, including a cramped floor plan, narrow stair-only access to all four levels, a lack of natural light in many areas, and one toilet,” the listing says. “It has had a lick of paint in at least the last decade and the kitchenette is circa 2000s chic.”

The real-estate firm in charge of selling the parcel says the land is worth about $US363,000, and has the “possibility of development” into something completely different. That might sadden some locals, though, who nicknamed the old tower “Arnold.”

“It has sat up there on the hill and served us well for 60 years, so we will have some mixed feelings about seeing it go,” Airways CFO James Young said.

“While we know it’s most likely that the property will be bought by a developer and cleared to build new homes, it’s nice to imagine the old tower being given a new life through some creative grand design.”

The new tower is just down the road.  I took this picture from a hill on the other side of the airport. Wellington airport must be one of the worlds best airports for for aviation watching/photography,  The grey building (bottom left) is Spruce Goose Café. On my regular visits to Welly I sit on the outside area of this café and drink a nice coffee or craft beer (usually both) and photograph the comings and goings at the airport.

IMG_0043.JPG

• Like 1

I have never been enamoured by those block control towers - they are a relatively common sight in UK airfields; just a rectangular box with a viewing deck stuck on top... My guess is that of the journo - it will be scrapped for development.

Now, I often take a look at the Aussie Realestate market, and wouldn't you know it, just when I was thinking that the Gold Coast was looking like good value, the prices have been increasing... Darn it, I reallyu have to get a better model crystal ball...

Still, there is absolutely no taste in mordern money, it seems:

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sovereign+islands-134360134

Defo only worth land value.. Maybe able to recycle some materials...

1 hour ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

I have never been enamoured by those block control towers - they are a relatively common sight in UK airfields; just a rectangular box with a viewing deck stuck on top... My guess is that of the journo - it will be scrapped for development.

More a question of location.   I could see myself sitting in front of those huge windows watching airliners landing whilst sipping a cheeky shiraz,    The great thing about plane watching at Welly is that the often windy conditions make for some spectacular go arounds.

As far as the building goes I think for me at least it would be more of a question what I did with the inside, I do have a soft spot for converted industrial buildings but it is often costly to renovate  I lived on a 44acre property for many years and my neighbor lived in a converted rail carriage, shabby on the outside luxurious on the inside.

news_3882.jpg

Edited by octave

Unf, I can't see the jpg...

Yes, I like converted industrial buildings too, and even rail carriages normally have some character.. but for me, there is little character in those old box buildings. I lived in a converted warehouse/factoury in Carlton for a while.. It still had a characther facade

[edit] But I do like the idea of sipping Shiraz and watching planes...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

I would really like to live in one of the industrial buildings that I put up in the sixties. Unfortunately I have never seen them on the market and a lot have been demolished. They tend to feature on TV news when they are demolished. The pick of them would have been the one at Port Kembla. At night you could see the glow of lights from Sydney from the top.

The front stairs could be a problem at about 650 feet to climb.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Yes, I like converted industrial buildings too, and even rail carriages normally have some character...

Jerry after a couple of memorable trips as a kid, I dreamed of converting an old NSW Railways country carriage. The beautiful wood paneling and separate compartments would be perfect for a home.
Alas, we are only issued with one lifetime in which to cram so many dreams...

• Like 2