Photo formats

willedoo

I was wondering if anyone knows much about photos in .webp format that a lot of websites are using these days. I can download them but they display very dark with windows picture viewer and are unusable. If I open the saved .webp photo in an image editor like paint, I can save a copy as a .jpg which will display normally. It's a bit of a pain in the rear if you are downloading photos from websites regularly. Something to do with transparency is my guess.

The reason I mentioned transparency is that when I convert them to a .jpg in MS Paint by clicking file/save as/, a confirmation box pops up with a long message about transparency being lost if you proceed. Maybe I need a batch processing programme. That way the stock of .webp files could build up and then do them all in one hit. It would be a lot less time consuming.

15 hours ago, red750 said:

Just as a matter of interest, I took one of my jpeg photos (of one of our Men's Shed members) and converted it to webp. The jpeg file was 4.66 MB, the webp fgile 1.91 MB.

Interesting to see the different size of formats. I sometimes buy images from Alamy. The first time I did, I thought I'd been conned. The advertised size was 20 MB and the downloaded file was a .jpg of around 1 MB. I contacted the company and was told the smaller form was for ease of downloading, and to convert the file in an image editor to a higher resolution format. One example I downloaded from them was 900KB in .jpg, 5.7MB in .png, 8MB in .tif and 19MB in .bmp.

• Informative 1

I was going to suggest my photo editor which has a batch function and format change, but I tried to load the WEBP image I created yesterday and the program didn't recognise it. I haven't updated for a long time, and haven't seen any update notifications, so I guess they are not up to it yet.

I usually use Paint for simple things like .webp format changes and Paint.Net for more involved things. Another one I most commonly use for image editing is Arcsoft Photo Studio, but it doesn't recognise .webp images. Arcsoft used to be bundled with Canon printers and scanners.

I really miss the Microsoft Picture It Digital Image programme. It had it's faults like they all do, but all round was one of the more effective and easy to use programmes. Very intuitive. The discs are here somewhere, but a year of searching hasn't found them yet. They were misplaced with a change of address and computer changes.

I still use an imaging programme called Ulead iPhoto Express, that came with the software package for the Canon FB320 scanner, that I bought with my first desktop and Windows 98, in 1998!

It was the best photo-imaging programme of the time, and it still is, a very useful programme!

Unfortunately, Ulead (a Taiwanese company) sold out to Corel about 10 or 12 years ago, and iPhoto Express was folded into Paint Shop Pro.

Fortunately, iPhoto Express is so good, it still works perfectly in Windows 7, and I have used it in every version of Windows from 98 onwards.

Pardon me for a bit of thread drift, but we were discussing photo editing software. It is amazing how much detail photos can contain which you cannot see.The first photo below was one included in the box of prints I mentioned in a thread on RecFlying. The underside of the aircraft is very dak, and details are hard to see, but despite the fact that this from a film negative printed on paper then scanned, the software can draw out additional detail. If the image had been a digital photo, far more detail would be retrievable.The right hand photo is after adjusting brightness, Gamma btightness and contrast. The air intake, drop tank and right undercarriage leg are much clearer.

Hornet.thumb.jpg.078df966363482d16851f2073e88cd72.jpg  974624024_Hornetedited.thumb.jpg.9a61c13cf0baf555c64997d7ab468947.jpg

Take a look at these photos. Again the one on the left is the original, the one on the right edited.

1823904529_English_Electric_Lightning_F3_UK_-_Air_Force_AN1029952.thumb.jpg.74b7f0e359d98cbfc3ae2cd22ef40cde.jpg117478728_English_Electric_Lightning_F3_UK_-_Air_Force_edited.thumb.jpg.8ab627adcea7ac99e7d76c8c06ce187b.jpg

• Like 1

spacer.pngI have noticed more files in the WEBP format when saving images for the Showcase.

If you highlight and right-click the file in File Manager, the pop-up menu has an option at the top to Convert with Pixillion.  (See screenprint below.) You will need to download the small app the first time you use it, but it will be there for future use. Select the format you wish to convert to, set the target/name to save the converted fileand click Convert. Quick and simple.I was going to post two versions for comparison, but the WEBP version will not load.Here is the converted (and cropped) jpeg version.

1753759201_LetL200MoravaVH-EMV.thumb.jpg.bfdae9bd10b106facbadb6ea6cf1915f.jpg

Pixillion.thumb.JPG.af26b8c126ab66655de8dae788444e85.JPG