Received this surprising email

red750

I have mentioned before that I have posted photos on Google Maps. In fact the photo count is now 181. I received this surprising email form Google in my Gmail account.

1583151070505.thumb.png.c63dd304d2270084d2dd48b12d4bd4eb.png

If you Google "Essendon Airport", this is what comes up (at least today, March 2nd 2020):

1583151688575.thumb.png.d6903be28c9b514076cbdb7007131ce2.png

That photo of the DC6B is one of mine, the heading photo.

• Like 2

I have mentioned before that I have posted photos on Google Maps. In fact the photo count is now 181. I received this surprising email form Google in my Gmail account.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1583151070505.png]51103[/ATTACH]

If you Google "Essendon Airport", this is what comes up (at least today, March 2nd 2020):

[ATTACH type=full" alt="1583151688575.png]51104[/ATTACH]

That photo of the DC6B is one of mine, the heading photo.

Good stuff!

Peter, what is wrong with this whole setup is that Google is making a fortune (the company is worth US$600B at last count) out of your photos - and they're giving you SFA for it - apart from "feel-good" messages.

This is what is wrong with corporate behaviour today, they shaft us by paying us nothing for our services (such as photos, reviews, etc) - while they sell advertising that amounts to billions in income for them weekly.

I've long ago turned off my Google "location" and stopped writing up reviews and posting my photos - until some of these greedy corporate arseholes start to pay us for our "work".

I use Thunderbird and Mozilla, because they are shareware, not beholden to any corporate greed. Google is one of the greatest greed merchants the world has ever seen, they make John D Rockefeller look positively generous.

• Like 2

@Jerry_Atrick , @onetrack , I use Optus webmail and Yahoo for emails, Brave for a browser (cuts out ads, including those in Youtube videos), and often use duckduckgo as a search engine (no tracking), but Google often finds stuff others don't. Don't use Snapchat, Twitter or any other soshul meja than Facebook. I have Chrome and Firefox loaded as well, because some sites are not compatible with Brave, but only use them when accessing those sites.

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

And you should be receiving renumeration commensurate with the profits that Google is making in reams from the numbers of people viewing your work - but all you get from Google, is some feel-good email, and maybe an electronic award that is about the same value as the Elephant stamp you got on your schoolwork in Primary School.

Talk about an imbalance between corporate profits and rewards for the people doing the actual work. This is American corporate greed at its best, and it's the reason why people like Bezos can accumulate $200B in personal wealth within a couple of decades - by manipulating people and manipulating tax systems - and by manipulating Govts and politicians as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1