Illegal Immigrants ? ? ? ? ?

Phil Perry

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia has made quite a few objectionable people wealthy, I'm not sure what your obsession with Alan Jones is, but I can assure you that I don't listen to talkback radio, most of them seem to have the same method, where they ask loaded questions and if they don't like the answer the interviewee gets conveniently cut off...

I totally agree. It riles me to hear the likes of Jones and Laws piped into workplaces and waiting rooms- as if they are the font of all wisdom. Their influence permeates the lives of far too many people who do not realise how much they are being manipulated. There are so many better radio stations to listen to.

^ yet another lefty free speech champion. All radio should be first processed through the ministry of truth to avoid naive proletariat listeners being manipulated eh.

(and no I don't listen to either of the ones you mention.)

No, GG. we need less bureacracy and more education, so people have the skills to rationally evaluate what they hear (and see).

Sad. Tossing labels instead of debating with facts. Lefty? I'm actually very right wing on some issues, left on others. Comes from thinking.

Be honest, you wouldn't want to find answers to those questions about asylum seekers would you? Much easier to ignore those facts which challenge your world view

I will happily accept the truth when I know what it is, the reality is that you haven't presented any facts just other opinions.

I think that you are ignoring a lot of truths yourself, and only accept that which supports your own views, which makes you no different, just on a different side of the fence.

So we need re-education for the masses who currently don't realise how ignorant they are?

No GG, we need better education of everyone. The strength of any democracy is in the quality of the electorate's decision-making. It's an unfortunate fact that no politician can afford to be really honest with the voters. John Hewson told the truth about his plans to introduce a GST before an election and was crucified. Howard denied planning a GST and was swept to power- then introduced the tax. I won't bore you with the most recent examples of this subterfuge.

We have seen how easily many voters are manipulated by the headlines. Rupert Murdock is king maker; that's why our leaders make pilgrimage to the great man.

...Somewhere I've heard this stuff before. ABC maybe?

…so if I got an idea from the ABC it's suspect and lefty?

...BTW you don't think the 'educated class' has caused any sort of ah... problems over the last decade or so?

Who do you include in this "educated class"? Make a list of Australia's most pressing problems and who you think is to blame.

Obesity and diabetes, extinctions, climate change, drug and alcohol addiction, water shortages, housing shortages, urban sprawl, soil erosion and loss of farmland, weeds, feral animals, education and training for a rapidly changing economy, family disfunction, child abuse, gambling addiction, ageing, mental health … (I'd better sneak CASA into the list!)

Perhaps it's the "educated" who are more aware of these problems and are doing something about them.

Australia has made Alan Jones very wealthy man, he's been calling for more action on this marriage counseling voucher initiative for a long time.

Australia is in safe hands judging by the accolades the international community comments.

spacer.png

The stimulus package did nothing more that put us in debt for hundreds of billions and prolong the inevitable, Australia and the rest of the world still have not recovered from the GFC. Economists like this guy should not be taken seriously as they are responsible for the economic chaos we and the rest of the world are and have been in for some considerable time. Anybody who thinks Australia's economy is in good shape think again for us the worst is still to come.

It's an unfortunate fact that no politician can afford to be really honest with the voters.

Yes this is because of political correctness, a foundational pillar of the left with its origins in Marxism. People like Cory Bernardi who are not PC are regularly howled and ranted at by the left media for stating honestly what they believe. You would prefer more to be like him?

John Hewson told the truth about his plans to introduce a GST before an election and was crucified. Howard denied planning a GST and was swept to power- then introduced the tax. I won't bore you with the most recent examples of this subterfuge. We have seen how easily many voters are manipulated by the headlines. Rupert Murdock is king maker; that's why our leaders make pilgrimage to the great man.

Thank you for so elegantly illustrating your own point Old Koreelah. You see Howard did indeed announce the Liberal parties intention to replace the Sales Tax system with a GST very clearly prior to the 1998 election. There is no ambiguity about this at all, it was very clear and they still got voted in*. But the left have since fabricated the myth that this didn't happen in a feeble attempt to cover Gillards carbon tax lie. You being an un-critical follower of leftist media have unthinkingly swallowed this lie and being incurious about conservatism failed to conduct even a simple check before repeating it - as was of course the intention of the myths fabricators.

As much as you (and I actually) despise Murdoch you wouldn't be suckered into this sort of stuff so easily if you perused some of his News Ltd outlets as well as the extreme leftwing ABC / Fairfax. In other words as you were saying more education is needed.

* From Wiki: "In May 1997, the Prime Minister shocked his party and created headlines when he unilaterally indicated a GST might be proposed as part of broader changes to the tax system. In August of that year, the Prime Minister announced that the Government would contest the next election offering a GST with extensive compensatory cuts in income and sales taxes. A long held conviction of Howard’s, the tax reform proposal was credited with boosting his confidence and direction, which had appeared to wane early in the Government’s second year. The Treasurer was charged with forming and running a special confidential working group to devise the details of the plan over the following 12 months.

The Coalition Tax Reform Package was launched on 13 August 1998 and included a 10 percent GST with the proceeds to be distributed to the states. Income tax would be lowered and the wholesale sales tax abolished, along with certain taxes on financial transactions. Over that fortnight, the proposal received a generally positive response and on 30 August the Prime Minister announced an early election for 3 October 1998. The GST, however, proved to be a difficult sell during the election campaign which was considered a “referendum on the GST”.

I totally agree. It riles me to hear the likes of Jones and Laws piped into workplaces and waiting rooms- as if they are the font of all wisdom. Their influence permeates the lives of far too many people who do not realise how much they are being manipulated. There are so many better radio stations to listen to.

Er didn't John Laws retire Years ago?

I must have been luckier with teachers than some of you. Mine taught me always to question Newspapers and other media because their rushed nature meant the story could not be fully told, and some journalists were biased or wrote with a hidden agenda. He taught me that on important issues it was worthwhile going to the source and getting my own facts.

In this way, I've never been forced to be the victim of the ABC or the Murdoch press, or talk show hosts.

I must have been luckier with teachers than some of you. Mine taught me always to question Newspapers and other media because their rushed nature meant the story could not be fully told, and some journalists were biased or wrote with a hidden agenda. He taught me that on important issues it was worthwhile going to the source and getting my own facts.

In this way, I've never been forced to be the victim of the ABC or the Murdoch press, or talk show hosts.

Agree entirely, It would have been nice to have been taught that, I had to learn it for myself.

The stimulus package did nothing more that put us in debt for hundreds of billions and prolong the inevitable, Australia and the rest of the world still have not recovered from the GFC. Economists like this guy should not be taken seriously as they are responsible for the economic chaos we and the rest of the world are and have been in for some considerable time. Anybody who thinks Australia's economy is in good shape think again for us the worst is still to come.

It took the LNP 6 years in opposition to work out that $200 marriage counselling vouchers would turn our society around :celebrate:Its marriage counselling led recovery. :rotary:

You need to word it correctly.. "But you turn off the TV when the ABC starts telling me things that are obviously selective or one sided".

Things that you cannot remember... Is that freaky or what? Its like seeing a car accident but being unable to remember the car, the road or who was killed.

Things that you cannot remember... Is that freaky or what? Its like seeing a car accident but being unable to remember the car, the road or who was killed.

More selective reading.........not to mention a completely irrelevant comparison.

Yes this is because of political correctness, a foundational pillar of the left with its origins in Marxism....

...so the labelling continues. You blame the electorate's difficulty grasping the need for unpopular government policies on the left. Does this mean all right-leaning politicians have always "told it like it is"?

I grant you the point about Howard's second term GST. (Have you conceded anything during this discussion?)

Despite your concerns that I depend too much on "the extreme leftwing ABC / Fairfax" media (which says perhaps more about your perspective than the facts) I do actually gather my news from a wide range of sources every day- including Murdock's stable.