Food too cheap

Bruce

Food is way too cheap. Small strawberries are being dumped, as are apples with blemishes from hail.

The ag faculties at the universities are closing down. Here in the country, it is better to produce less than pay a farmhand the minimum wage.

Even in human history, this has been the case for a tiny period of time. I don't think the cheap food has done us much good anyway. Obesity is rife.

Here's my question: How many hours of unskilled labour should a sheep ( one which could feed a family meat for 2 weeks) be worth?

I would want something to go with my sheep (All that meat and no potatoes) Meat should be expensive. It does cost a lot to make and we probably eat too much of it for our own good. Eat more vegetables, fruit and nuts. Processed food is not food at all It's recycled anything but food. Nev

Maybe if they imposed a "Fast Food Tax" on the likes of KFC, HJ and Macca's to make it less affordable, people would buy more Veggies and Meat and cook their own food. More money for producers, more tax and a healthier population. Nah, it would never happen.

The lack of a sugar tax is impressive. The health profession has been urging this for years, and polls show the public would accept it.

On the grounds of fairness, surely the consumers of sugar help pay for some of the financial damage done by excessive consumption? We have this with tobacco and alcohol, why not add the biggest and worst?