Theresa May pushing for war with Russia.

Phil Perry

I never was involved in the 'MOD' craze,. . .ie,, those blokes who wore lipstick and wore Parka' jackets with a fox fur collar and rode those ridiculous Lambretta scooter thingies with the seventy two wing mirrors to see when a greaser was coming up from behind. . . . . . . I was a genuine GREASER. . . .ie, a person who rode a proper BSA motorbike and was covered in oil stains from keeping it on the road. . . .

The tragedy of my life was that I was too young to be a Bodgie. Bugger, I would have loved it as long as I had a good Widgie.

WTF?

I had several bodgies when I was young, but unfortunately they all died. Oh, and we spelled it "budgie". Never wanted to be one though.

Nah.... bodgies dressed like they did in "Grease" .They rode motorbikes or drove hot rods, with their widgie hanging on or at their side. This was in Australia in the 1950's and I was just a schoolkid.

Nah! Bodgies were an earlier phenomenon, with the males characterized by flamboyant clothing influenced by Afro-American soldiers

Bodgies and African American Influences in Sydney | The Dictionary of Sydney

The mob who rode motor bikes emerged in the mid-1950's sporting slicked-back hair and wearing leather motorcycle jackets and jeans, a la "The Wild One" were Rockers.

The next Cult was the "Surfie" identified by bleached blonde hair and baggy shorts.

Then came the Mods, whose dress had a reminiscence of the Bodgie, but was more influenced by the styles of the British Beat (Mersey Sound)

Then came the Hippys, followed by the Disco Kings.

After that I got married and became a boring young fart.

Gosh OME, were you there when it happened? Apart from being too young, Alice Springs in the 1950's was too small to have any proper Bodgies , who I called what you say are Rockers.

I am familiar with the rest, except for " Disco Kings".

I have a friend who was a Bikie/Rocker/Bodgie for awhile in the late 50's. He said you had to ride your motorbike up and down the street a few times then sit outside the milk-bar and say F##k all the time.

My first teenage music was Surf Music ( Jan & Dean, Beach Boys, The Atlantics, Denvermen) plus a bit of US hotrod music. That's because I lived on the coast. My big cousin, who lived over Bankstown way, was a rocker who had hot cars. Even my sister's husband was a car driving Rocker.

"Disco Kings"? I was looking for words to describe the 1970's disco set - 'Saturday Night Fever"

There was another sub-cultural group - the Beatniks

Beatnik was a media stereotype prevalent throughout the 1950s to mid-1960s. At the time the term "beatnik" was coined, a trend existed among young college students to adopt the stereotype. Men emulated the trademark look of bebop trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie by wearing goatees, horn-rimmed glasses and berets, rolling their own cigarettes, and playing bongos. Fashions for women included black leotards and long, straight, unadorned hair, in a rebellion against the middle-class culture of beauty salons. Marijuana use was associated with the subculture, and during the 1950s, Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception further influenced views on drugs.

The most famous beatnik? Maynard G Krebbs "The Many Loves of Dobbie Gillis"

[ATTACH]49266._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1522474082165.png.79b23e6d90ab988138858478efdeec67.png