'Brexit' negotiations - Info for those who may be interested.

Phil Perry

While I wouldn't take Breitbart articles with much more than a pinch of salt, there is no question that the EU is staring down the barrel of a budgetary hole, only being brought forward a few years by Britain's exit. The maddeningly exorbitant claims of exit payments does nothing to bestow a sense of mutuality in the negotiations; unfortunately Downing Street seems to be under the influence of a few businesses (admittedly that contribute disproprotionately to GDP thanks years in inactivity and meddling to destory other sectors of the economy) that want access to the free market come what may.

May's Florence speech was a nightmare; She effectively committed £20bn; now she has indicated she is prepared to go higher; some say as high as £40bn, which as I recall is not far off the demands of the EU anyway. In which case, why not just hand them the keys to Westminster and say "take it as we will roll over to whatever you want to have access to the free market").

If £40bn net (not revenue, which is what all the numbers of trade are based on) going to be returned to Britain over the two year transition period? Doubtful and if it is, most will be concentrated in the hands of the few - while Britain lags in productivity at the moment, a lot of its commerce and industry operates a) highly automated and/or b) out of low cost locations (India springs to mind, but Bulgaria is starting to see growth in UK and other developed Western economies' jobs).

• 2 weeks later...

Another interpretation of the 'No Deal' scenario for British exit from the EU - this outlines what Parliament voted upon, following the Supreme Court decision on the Gina Millar challenge, and defines Article 50 again for the hard of understanding.

It was made in response to a remain orientated Media political commentator named Paul Mason, who apparently has misunderstood the terms used ( genuinely, or otherwise ) and is promulgating via MSM, the first paragraph below as fact.

"Earlier this morning, Paul Mason made a point that you hear quite often: there’s no chance of 'no deal' on Brexit, because there is no parliamentary majority for no deal. Michael Gove and John Redwood can say that “no deal is better than a bad deal” as much as they like, but they would not get that past the Commons. It’s understandable, given recently chaos, to imagine that if things are falling apart then Brexit might be one of them. Lord Kerr, who helped draft the Article 50 withdrawal clause, said last week that “the Brexiters create the impression that… having sent in a letter on 29 March 2017 we must leave automatically on 29 March 2019 at the latest. That is not true.”

But this ended up in the Supreme Court precisely because Article 50 DID serve final notice that we’d be leaving by 29 March 2019 at the latest. Once that letter was sent, “no deal” became the default position: it’s a deal that needs special parliamentary approval. If there is no agreement on a deal, or a veto is wielded from Dublin or Wallonia, then out we go – relying on the WTO rules that govern our relationship with the US and 110 other countries. It doesn’t matter what Lord Kerr thinks about what happens now. Article 50 has been activated, so Brexit is now automatic.

Just ask the Supreme Court. Its judgement was made on the basis that Article 50 is not conditional on a later vote, or on a parliamentary majority for any subsequent deal. Article 50 is the final say, which is why Theresa May needed to seek parliament’s approval. Was invoking Article 50 the same as taking us out? The Supreme Court argued that it was – so a vote was needed. So the process is now irreversible, and unconditional. Unless Parliament votes to ignore the referendum result and abandon Brexit, we’ll leave on 29 March.

That’s why I backed Gina Miller in her case against the government: her argument made sense. Invoking Article 50 wasn’t preparing to leave, it was leaving. And as such, it was a decision the Prime Minister did not have the authority to take on her own. If parliament voted to take us into the EU then only a parliamentary vote could reverse that decision.

I sometimes wonder if Paul Mason and others think that Brexit will be like Lords reform, which didn’t happen because parliament could not agree on how it should be done. If there is no agreement on Brexit then no deal will happen at midnight Brussels time (or 11pm ours) on the 29th March 2019.

Fraser Nelson

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/since-article-50-was-triggered-a-no-deal-brexit-has-been-the-default/ …

• 3 weeks later...

UK's Supreme Court, as it was a question of UK constitutional (??) authority of the government executive to use the royal prerogative in this case - in the same way, for example, as the government can use the same power to declare war without parliamentary approval. In this case, the Supreme court ruled that parliament and not the government executive must make the decision as it would force the repeal or significant change to an existing parliamentary act (European Communities Act) - something that is accepted as only being able to be done by parliament itself.

Brussels, the European Court of Justice, etc, are totally irrelevant to that question of law, regardless of whether the UK were leaving or not as it is a question of national law only. It would be an issue if the national law resulted in a contradiction of EU law (as Poland is embarking on), but it is an entirely different dimension.

I like this guy...he actually has a smart head on his shoulders. Been watching him for a while now...we need more of him..especially here .

YAY ! The Moggster ! How many millions of us profoundly wish that he was the PM.

On another tack completely, are you still using DStar ?. . . I have a new toy. Worked into VK3 a couple of nights ago on AllStar / Echolink, and I'm wondering if there's a crossover ie, Dstar / AllStar, perhaps the VK ( Ron the IP Train Driver ) . . was using this. . .I didn't get time to ask as our local simplex gateway on 2 metres closes between midnight and six AM. . and the damn thing dropped out mid conversation !

Big Daughter has bought me a DMR radio for Chrismas too. . .. more Tech to get my head around. . . .( G4 OHK - Old Hairy Kangaroo )

Hi Phil

Yes I am on Dstar still. I own and operate a local Dstar repeater VK4RDS use the C port...The B port works but antenna is stuffed at the moment on UHF so need a rigger to change it over. I have RDS connected to DCS 028 all the time on VHF and REF001C on UHF My callsign is VK4KZK

I think the moggster could end up being the PM...he is the only politician I have seen in a lot of years that actually must think about the country's best interest. I enjoy watching him and only wish there were more like him

I have a DMR radio here but rarely use it. I find the audio on DMR far less quality than Dstar. The C port will remain Dstar only but soon will change the B port over to multimode. Just waiting on the new multimode board for the repeater from Canada

OK, all I have to do is ask my local gateway keeper if there is a way of crossover connecting by network node number to YOUR Dstar system.from the Hubnet UK AllStar / Echolink net, which I was operating on when I was listening to VK3. . .Unless you have any clues. . .we can dial up a six digit node link number, and add a zero if its only five digits. . .but just a simple *51 ( USA Eastern ) or *61 UK / Europe as mentioned before. . OR *33 plus Node number for a specific repeater . . ..

( I'm a very Newbie at this stuff btw, so apols for rather basic questions - too used to the simplicty of the snap crackle and pop HF bands ! )

This is my local gateway. . .

[ATTACH]49133._xfImport[/ATTACH]

(This is a screenshot taken from Darren's <QRZ.com> page)

213765933_MB7IDP-1.thumb.PNG.676d9f1147aeeb88d6eab8f560fe1d87.PNG