Religious facts and 'Quickies'

Phil Perry

All the religions "borrow" off earlier ones. Virgin births, floods, christmas, easter, etc etc - none of it original to christianity. Scientology is almost believable in comparison, at least it's original. (Despite its founder having made the statement that to get rich, start a religion).

A pox on all their houses.

Of course all those points are correct and rational. The only one I would question is the assumption that Jesus was a real person and not a fictional character.HOWEVER religion is not rational and our psychology is not rational. There is good evidence that belief in spirits is a side-effect of the way our brain works ( everything is caused by some entity is what our brain thinks, and when it comes to rustling noises in the darkness, there is survival value in this ).

This is why primitive people are chock-full of religion and superstition and atheism is the province of the intelligent and educated.

As for getting people to be one religion, well that flies in the face of our instinct to divide into tribes..remember the Catholic/ Protestant wars?... among " Christians"?

There are evolutionary reasons for dividing into tribes so this is also built into our brains.

The one hope is that computers will become sentient and take over and be nice to us . They ( the computers ) will be atheist I bet.

Nah. . .the public will never accept that mate. . .you'll soon have version 1.2. . . the 'Religion' Plugin. . . .

the dead sea scrolls predated Jesus by 400 years and contained the Jesus parables.Yep Phil, That is a danger I know. Also they might be like the terminator. Well I didnt say its a big chance, but what other hope is there?

I look forward to genuine AI,. . .but will it,. . Can it ever happen ?. . . current projections are that it will be never, not with current technology. A SENTIENT Manufactured intelligence ? Whoever designed a human brain, did a damned good job. .. it's just a shame that some of it's users seem to Mis-use it, OR. . .allow it to be 'Washed' of 'BALANCED' critical thinking due to pressure of 'GROUPTHINK / HIVE MIND pressure. . . . . BUT that's subjective again innit ?