• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Program on telly said,

"THE EARTH BREATHS"

When the sun hits the trees carbon is reduced, and as the sun sets the carbon returns to it previous state .

it seems the industrial revolution has removed Too many trees in the northern hemisphere creating an imbalance of said carbon.

More carbon & the Earth warms up, less carbon and it cools. Said on TV by scientist, so must be true.

spacesailor

A way to remove CO2 from the atmosphere would be to turn trees or anything else like straw into charcoal and bury it.

This probably would be the cheapest way. Unfortunately for the planet, there is not much in this scheme for the big end of town. It is the exact reverse of mining coal.

So we will continue to subsidize coal mining and continue not paying farmers to produce charcoal.

On todays news, the street trees in Melbourne need to be changed. The report said the average temperature has increased by 2 degrees since the 1950's and some trees like the Dutch elms are already at the upper limit of their range.

How do climate change deniers cope with a bit of news like that? I guess they could say that the temperature readings are all lies and the trees are part of the conspiracy.

• 2 months later...

Big crack in the ice in the Antarctic - a research base has been evacuated, presumably in case they all fall in. Probably due to me driving a couple of 4x4s (not at the same time, I hasten to add), and burning wood. ( Maybe they have been having too many noisy parties . . . ! )

It’s called Halley. It's built on an ice shelf (the Brunt Ice Shelf). The last one was Halley 5, now they are on Halley 6, built at enormous expense. They have to keep replacing them because they get nearer to the "coast" (edge of ice) each year and, eventually, it falls into the sea. Except this one is going off a bit prematurely.

Funny thing is that they built the new one on skis with the idea that they could keep moving it inland.....oops, too late.

The original was built in 1956/7 and was just a traditional wooden hut which, ironically, was far more successful than all of the next 5 hi-tech replacements.

This is a pic of Halley 5 (1998):

[ATTACH]48068._xfImport[/ATTACH]

( Info from 'Polardroid' - occasional visitor to this manor )

1921280034_HALLEY5.thumb.jpg.6fc0810a8aaf5e317788682e5b72cd19.jpg

Burning wood is no problem. We could go on doing that for ever. The problem is when we burn old wood and other things that have been laid down over millenia. We are then burning more than can be grown each year.

I still burn wood, but I grow even more so it is not contributing to the cause of climate change.

No doubt the manufacture of the means for me to burn wood ie a wood fired water heater, did contribute.

We have hundreds of tonnes of timber on the farm, and this could be turned to charcoal and buried. It would be the exact opposite of coal mining.

Alas, there is no money for the big end of town in this so it is unlikely to happen. In the meantime, we are looking at 5 degrees of global warming. But relax, the world has been through 6 degrees.

A letter-writer summed up the opposition nicely..." we have to stop spending money on the unproven threat of global warming".