The human cost of rechargeable batteries

old man emu

While the First World pats itself on the back for "going rechargeable", does it ever consider the human cost of that holier than thou attitude?

I found this video made me question if the First World might have banned the trade in humans, does it still depend  on economic slavery.

>

And here is the same story from another source.

>

22 minutes ago, old man emu said:

While the First World pats itself on the back for "going rechargeable", does it ever consider the human cost of that holier than thou attitude?

I found this video made me question if the First World might have banned the trade in humans, does it still depend  on economic slavery.

>

These are important issues.  It is crucial that privileged people take responsibility for the inputs to our luxuries such as mobile phones and computers etc.  The issue involves the so-called artisanal mines rather than suppliers such as Russia Australia and Canada etc.   The notion that this is purely a problem for battery and EV production is a bit of a red herring.  The solution to slave labour in cobalt mines is not to discontinue the use of cobalt but to ensure better supplies. It would be dumb to say a percentage of cobalt comes from unethical sources so let's not make batteries. Tesla batteries contain I think 3% cobalt although that is being reduced. If poor mining practices are an indictment of the EV and battery industries then surely they are also an indictment against mobile phones, computers and even the fuel industries.  

Cleaning fuel

All crude oils contain between 0.1% and 2.5% of sulphur dependant on their source of origin. Upon combustion, the sulphur from these crude oils is converted into sulphur oxides – an air pollutant that can dissolve in rainwater creating acid rain which damages crops, forests and aquatic species.

Cobalt plays a vital role in catalysing the removal of sulphur from oil, contributing to a more sustainable society. Desulphurisation is the process by which sulphur is removed from oil. A significant use of cobalt globally is as part of catalysts in this desulphurisation process. The use of cobalt in desulphurisation reactions represents the highest tonnage of cobalt use in the catalyst sector.

Edited by octave
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1