Best speed on Conrod Stratight, Mount Panorama

old man emu

And they cannot book you for doing more than the previous limit between the 60 k ahead sign and the actual 60 sign. The advisory signs are black the speed signs are coloured.

My point about signage is we simply have to much and it creates distractions. I rode around Mt Panorama in March. It was the first time I had ever been there. I was in absolutely no doubt about the fact I was in a 60 kph zone from the minute that I entered the front gate. You should not need a speed sign every 50 metres the speed limit is what ever the last sign you passed was until there is a different one.

As for the revenue collection argument I do agree that some of the places the coppers sit are to keep up quotas but the fact remains if you do not speed then you can't add to government coffers. But then of course the government needs a certain amount of dollars so if everyone stopped speeding tomorrow, then either taxes would need to go up or they would need to make something else ill-eagle just to keep the income up to the level needed to maintain the handouts. But then that would be a whole new discussion.

I seem to recall the whole circuit is 60kph drove around it a couple years ago.

Umm yes. Bathurst is a circuit, a loop, the start is the end, etc, with no side roads either.

Just a couple of signs is all you need for it to be that speed limit the whole way around, in fact, you only need one at the entrance to the track.

Bathurst cops have been making a fortune out of the place forever.

My point about signage is we simply have to much and it creates distractions.

You can't imagine how true that is, it's darn relaxing sitting on 110 to 120 without any fear of getting booked. You don't watch your speedo, you don't peer at every crack in the road for cops or have that fear, you concentrate, in a relaxed fashion, 100% on the road.

I'm leaving in about 5 minutes from Chengdu to near Chongqing and it will be 3 hours without any thought other than safe and relaxed driving on perfect freeway almost door to door.

Again, not a post to glorify China but a post to show what Australia can and should learn from others.

[ATTACH]47676._xfImport[/ATTACH]

120.thumb.jpg.c82454d33976b14448b2eac493270f31.jpg

Recently I loaded the upgrades into my car GPS.

Took me a while to work out what the " ding" was?

Happens every time you pass a speed sign!

Couple of times I would have missed the sign except for the notification.

I use regularly now, even on known routes.

I have been fortunate over the years with only three speeding fines in 63 years, two before GPS technology, the other was before the upgrade where I missed the sign.

I agree that looking for speed signs in busy traffic is mentally draining.

PHIL.

Hi all, I don't want to sound like a anal retentive, but drivers don't lose points. They accumulate points. All drivers start on zero and every time they are booked the accumulate points. Eg - in QLD you can accumulate up to 12 demerit points before your licence is suspended. I actually knew a bloke who accumulated 23 points before the courts caught up with him.

People don't start with 12 and go backwards.

Cheers

I've said it a few times before but again won't hurt.

The five causes of crashes in order

1: Innatention (covers a lot but basically looking at kids in the back, texting, anything that takes your attention away)

2 and 3 are fatigue and alcohol/drugs can't remember which way around they went

4 and 5 are mechanical and speeding I also forget which way around they were.

Speeding is NOT a large cause of crashes BUT (that's a big but!) obviously the faster you hit something the worse it will be. The trouble is it is one of the easiest to police. As far as safety goes speed is only a small part of it. When out west with the looooong straight roads sitting on 100 was the quickest way to put you to sleep. (My better half saved us both by waking me up once when I nodded off doing 100 on a boring road)

Now IMHO boredom fatigue is totally different to tired fatigue, if you are tired you can fall asleep even if you are doing well over the speed limit!! So it is important not to confuse the two but with boredom fatigue it certainly can help to get along a bit quicker.

Hi all, I don't want to sound like a anal retentive, but drivers don't lose points. They accumulate points. All drivers start on zero and every time they are booked the accumulate points. Eg - in QLD you can accumulate up to 12 demerit points before your licence is suspended. I actually knew a bloke who accumulated 23 points before the courts caught up with him.People don't start with 12 and go backwards.

Cheers

Exactly Dazza, and why their correct title is "demerit points".

I was in Europe recently and sitting on 140kph, along with a bunch of other blokes, on a motorway perfectly legal and law abiding. If I did the same thing here I would be labeled "Child Killer" and probably thrown in jail. Literally... Still "Australian Conditions " of course says it all............................I bet Bronwyn gets away with it , same as all the drunken cops that got slapped on theirs legs....

Debate rages-on about the issue of whether speed cameras are really about safety, or just revenue raising. Being the optimist I am, I've written numerous politicians and authorities over the years, suggesting they could easily put this debate to rest.

Simply offer a "tick-box" list of registered charities on the infringement notice where the fine can be paid to. Fair enough, the demerit points can still accumulate to the speeding driver to discourage habitual speeding, but the authorities could then honestly claim their motivation was purely about safety, not revenue raising.

Unsurprisingly, I have never had a response from authorities to this "charitable" suggestion. I think that silence has resolved any debate in my mind :-(

School zones are often a Joke.

Here in Sydney, major arterial roads have them. The school will have big fences stopping the kids crossing and often no actual exits onto the main road but we go from 70 down to 40. Some not only have the fences plus a fence on the medium strip and a overhead walk bridge- but still have a bloody school zone.

They just seem like a way to hunt drivers money and have no bearing on the conditions present. The biggest risk seems to be the parents in 4wd monsters, cause we all know you need a Landcruiser etc to cross that stream getting to Coles in Sydney.

More kids seem to die from their parent running them over in home driveways.

• 3 months later...
I remember when Warren Willing was clocked at 299kph on a, I think, OW31, a version of a TZ750, in the rain, on Conrd Straight. And he later said that he was struggling to control the wheelspin. I think that was 1978.

I was there in the speed trap run by UNSWMCC. W.Willing and Hideo Takai had identical top speeds of 186 mph. Might have been 1977? Not sure about that.

Our equipment was pretty basic back then and the precision was not great. think there was several kph interval between possible readings.

Feel for you OME. Had a similar event the first time I visited Victoria. Over taking a slow and weaving drunk on a 2 km straight. Lady cop sitting at the other end with nothing better to do. The drunk guy didn't pass us as she stopped me so he got away with it.

Hope she wasn't blonde... What road in Vic?