The Wide Brown Land . . .

Phil Perry

Isn't it funny how people think of places in terms of danger. We have a German friend who came over to visit, was terrified of anything crawling (should have heard the shriek when a scorpion dropped into the bathroom sink in front of her) - whereas for your average suburban/semi-rural Aussie the stinging/biting thingies don't register on your daily radar.

Throughout the world, with the possible exception of the Arctic, the most dangerous animals you'll ever meet will be human. Being in the wrong part of Sydney or London or LA or Paris at the wrong time is far riskier to your health than a few funnelwebs or tiger snakes.

My eldest Daughter Rachel, recieved a caution from Walsall police a month ago, . . .she and her five girly mates had just left a restaurant and were walking to the taxi rank when some looney tough guy bloke took a flying kick at them,. . .

Something to do with a bit of an argument between them and his girly friend in the restaurant. . . You can guess what happened,. . ." If you were a REAL man ,. . .you'd go and sort those bitches out. . ." Rachel stepped forward and elbowed the guy in his throat, whilst he was still in midair,. . . resulting in him being removed to hospital by a paramedic ambulance,. . .regrettably, this was witnessed by a local copper, who wanted Rachel prosecuted for assault. . .( ? )

She got away with a "caution", after eight other people said she was just defending herself and her friends . . . . the fact that she is an instructor in Shotokan karate didn't come up. ( If this had gone to court, it might have been a different matter, as you are not allowed to use violence, to combat violence in this country,. . .it is deemed socially unnacceptable. . . .the world has gone a bit doolally whilst I wasn't looking. . . .)

But I agree with your feelings on who or what is the most danger to humans Marty. . . . Animals only hurt you when they are threatened, or by complete accident,. . . and this is a genetic trait. . .humans, on the other hand are totally unpredictable, and far more dangerous, especially when they are young male blades and have had beer. . . . .

My Rachel was born half at home in Boronia,. . . ( Long story ) then the rest of her was completely born at Ferntree Gully Memorial Hospital, Victoria, at half past three on the afternoon of the 24th July, 1982. . . . . as I've said many times,. . .you can take the girl out of Australia,. . .but you'll bever remove Australia from the Girl ! ! ! ! Geez,. . .she's been back there five times on vacation ! ! ! ( Must like it ? )Not sayin Aussies are violent,. . . . .Just . . .er,. . .Aussie.

Never been in a fight. AS a kid I was pretty fit (that might have helped) but most people don't know when to back off the the macho insults and just be a human being. Things get out of hand pretty quick if a casual comment is taken the wrong way. Drugs and knives are about today, to a much bigger extent and I won't walk where I once would.

I've swum with sharks, but I won't do it now.

I wouldn't try to deal with a brown bear or polar bear, though animals lick me to death (almost). generally.

Australia does have some very dangerous animals and critters. More dangerous to small children where the venom is more toxic. I have had red bellied blacks and tiger snakes at my place and my kids have gone to hospital with bites. Large ones regularly sleep under my slasher. I've had them on my doorstep..

Crocodiles are epidemic in the rivers in the north. My recent trip, 3 people taken while I was there ( NT).

I used to regularly sail small catamarans when in Darwin. No way would I do it now.. Nev

We get a few tiger snakes here but the good thing about snakes (and most other critters) is that they're more scared of you than you are of them. Every summer we drum into the kids "Make lots of noise when you're walking. (Not usually a problem). What do you do if you see a snake?" and the answer is: "Stop. DON'T TOUCH. Go and get Mummy or Daddy. If your brother or sister is with you, take them too."

Geez I hope they remember it if they ever see one close up.