Am I just a cynical old bugger?

old man emu

I watched this video because it has some relationship to a video about similar electric flying machines that we discussed previously.

However, I started to wonder if the whole video was a good bit of CGI. Watch it, especially the afternoon flights across dry country, and tell me what you think of the veracity of the video.

• Like 1

Not sure about CGI, but I wouldn't be surprised to find there was a degree of video "enhancement". You know how those photos of properties for sale, that show up colours and angles and lighting, that you'd never normally see? Something similar has been done to the video of the Jetson.

I've done that, and I can see the shadow of the Jetson in virtually every scene. In a couple of scenes, the shadow is near the edge of the screen. Look at the video, full screen, on a 22" screen, as I do. 

The sun is very low, almost on the horizon, so that puts the shadow a long way from the Jetson - and in a couple of scenes, it's outside the panned area.

It's for real, as one track says, low sunlight just before setting or rising, but you do see it's shadow at different times. This ones designed for racing, with low flight time. Shouldn't be to long before we see machines like this becoming common with longer ranges, maybe a peddle generator on one would help with range. Luckily it has a parachute, as do more and more light aircraft, which makes one more inclined to fly knowing if the engine stops or a wing falls off, you can still float down safely.

• Like 1