Marcia! What a bitch!

farri

Fortunately for us here in Far North Queensland, Cyclone Marcia passed us by as a low pressure system,not so lucky are those in the ST Lawrence/Yepoon area! at the moment, Marcia is a category 4 and could increase to cat 5 which will make it an extremely destructive Cyclone! it is expected to cross the coast in that area.

For anyone interested, Marcia can be tracked at the 'Tropical Cyclone Forecast Track Map Page'.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Frank.

So this Marcia who is coming in as a category 4 or 5 reminds me of 2011.

On 6th February 2011 I was the very first commercial vehicle allowed to travel north from Ingham. I was parked at the Ingham police station with an emergency generator on board for a resort/emergency accommodation centre for Mission Beach Qld. I had spoken to the coppers several times and they refused to let me through. At 2am on the 6th I got a phone call from the owner of the genny, he gave me a number to ring. I rang the number and old mate at the other end said where are you, wait there. About 10 mins later a couple of coppers came over and asked who I was. I told them and the response was Boss wants to see you.

Over to the cop shop and the boss asked who the hell I knew because he had just had a call and been told to get me through. So just on sunup I left Ingham following an Army convoy. Three times before Cardwell they had to stop and clear the road of debris. At Cardwell it was the most eerie sight. The town was gone the beach was on the road. They Army unloaded a couple of Bobcats and cleared a path through the sand.

The run through to Tully was actually quie good but there the Army parked up and I headed out to Mission Beach on my own. A couple of times I had to stop and drag trees of the road using chains and straps but I got into Mission Beach right on dark. What a mess. I searched out direction to the resort, it was on top of the headland at South Mission Beach. By the time I got there, it was 10.00 pm. They had no power, no running water, 50% of the villas were gone, and all they could think of was to try and organise a feed for me because they heard that I was coming.

I went to bed after a sandwich because they wouldn't take no for an answer. It proves that people who have nothing, will give you all they have. The next morning was an absolute lesson in humility for me. These people who 2 nights before had been cringing in a dark room whilst trains and planes had been dancing on the roof (As it was described by a 10 year old) could not do enough to help. About 20 of us unloaded a 5 tonne genny, don't ask how oh&s would have a fit. We wired it all up and got her running. Once again they tried to feed me but I had tucker in the truck and they had nothing so I refused. I spent the next few hours chatting because I think that was what they needed.

The two that I will never forget were a young couple 3 week old baby, she was making cuppas on a wood fire and he was everywhere and doing everything. I asked how he fared in the storm. He said I haven't been home I spent 2 days cutting a track so you could get the truck up here. Then he pointed to the beach and said the whole street is gone. We only settled and moved in the week before Christmas, how the hell do I tell her she has been to busy to look and hopes that it is still there.

What can you say to that. The look of despair in his eyes. Then 30 seconds later it was gone and he slapped me on the shoulder and said shit mate it's gone but we are alive and I can fix it up.

That to me was She'll be right mate at the highest level. I wonder how that little family are today.

I saw enough that day to know that no matter what Marcia does people will get up and kick her arse.

There was an unusual weather event in Mackay tonight... At about 6.30...just before sundown...the sky went an unusual orange colour. I didn't take a photo...it drew me outside. The sky was in turmoil. I have seen other people commenting on facebook...and if I hadn't seen that I would have had to assume I was imagining it because it.

How are you guys going up there?

On the north side of Brisbane we're such a long way from the cyclone action its not that bad, lots of rain and local flooding etc, no doubt some will have had water through their businesses and homes - plenty of roads cut and evacuation centres have been opened. Had more than 120mm of rain so far today at my place, at least that's when the rain gauge overflowed a while ago.

My apologies for my course language in my earlier post. I just check it and realised the I had been asterisked out on two occasions. The event moved me in ways that I sometimes struggle to put into proper words. Again sorry if I caused offence.

[You worry too much. The asterix are put in by a censorbot.. It's a dumb computer type thing - Mod xox ]

Thanks for your understanding Bandit12. Days like today bring it back. My brother is now an assistant commissioner for Qld Ambulance. Back then he was in charge of training for NQ. I remember on the way home catching up with him at the Ambo centre in Cardwell. I arrived a few minutes after him (he was on a tour of the area to see how his people were) and as we sat and chatted a really old guy wandered in worried because he couldn't get to his doctors appointment. The compassion I saw that day as my older brother took this guys BP and looked in his eyes and ears then sat him down for a cuppa while we waited for an ambulance to get back an take him home was amazing. After he left I asked about the Dr's appointment and Big Brother said couldn't you see it mate, there was no appiontment, he just needed someone to talk to and he knew we would be here. PS I never saw that compassion as we were fighting in the back yard as we grew up.

I had a similar experience when I drove almost non stop from Southern Victoria to Bundaberg two years ago to help with the aftermath the floods . I was working at the worst hit area near the botanic gardens , and used to present to volunteer base for something to eat . The Tallon bridge was still closed and getting across on the old bridge was a nightmare , but somehow the food supplied by Red Rooster and others got through . Observing the local volunteers , Salvo's , church groups , crisis counsellors etc. left a lasting impression on me . I remember being approached by a young lass , not much older than my grand daughter saying ... " are you OK mate " . I was deeply moved by the genuine compassion shown by her . Bob

Guest Howard Hughes
Thanks for your understanding Bandit12. Days like today bring it back. My brother is now an assistant commissioner for Qld Ambulance. Back then he was in charge of training for NQ. I remember on the way home catching up with him at the Ambo centre in Cardwell. I arrived a few minutes after him (he was on a tour of the area to see how his people were) and as we sat and chatted a really old guy wandered in worried because he couldn't get to his doctors appointment. The compassion I saw that day as my older brother took this guys BP and looked in his eyes and ears then sat him down for a cuppa while we waited for an ambulance to get back an take him home was amazing. After he left I asked about the Dr's appointment and Big Brother said couldn't you see it mate, there was no appiontment, he just needed someone to talk to and he knew we would be here. PS I never saw that compassion as we were fighting in the back yard as we grew up.

spacer.png

Sorry I must have had something in my eye, honest!

Great stories of humanity.spacer.png