Another stab in the back from the Tax Office

old man emu

As part of starting a new job after living off my assets for 18 months, I had to fill in a Tax File Number Declaration. No problem with that.

However, when I wanted to indicate that I wanted to claim the Dependent Spouse Rebate, I found that:

Part A - Dependent spouse

You cannot claim this tax offset if:

• your spouse was born on or after 1 July 1952

www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-Return/2014/Tax-return/Tax-offset-questions-T1-T3/T1---Spouse-(without-dependent-child-or-student)/

So, after all these years my child bride, who has been fully occupied as a Home-maker, and was born in 1953, is not considered to be my dependent.

Does that mean that I have to declare half my income as a Gift to her, and pay Gift Tax on it?

It seems that the Individual Tax Return form will be simplified:

Q 1. How much did you earn in the taxation year? ............ (A)

Q 2. How much was forwarded to the ATO as PAYE? ........... (B)

Q 3. Of the sub-total (A-B), how much did you spend? ........... ©

Q 4. What is your unspent income (A-B-C)? ........... (D)

Please forward to the ATO an amount equal to (D), we already have (B).

Old Man Emu

Everyone of you is having a laugh, but you are suffering from this decision too, if your wife does not earn any income and she is less than 62 years old.

Perhaps if Conservative governments weren't hell bent on bolstering Big Business, then an Australian family could consist of a breadwinner, a homemaker, and a couple of kids.

OME

• 1 month later...
The thing is we are NOT a highly taxed country by world standards. For the very rich, tax is voluntary here. Nev

Nev,. . . . .this "Taxes for the rich, and Huge International concerns" has been rumbling on here for the last three years,. . . . and the result of my observations causes me to believe that you are mistaken slightly in your assertion that "Tax is voluntary" It appears to me that tax is not considered in any way shape or form neccessary at all, by the super rich, nor Starbucks, Amazon , didah didah didah. . . . . and all the rest who have their Head offices in the Cayman Islands, and pay tax on all their UK profits at the local Cayman rate. . . . .the subject only becomes major media news in the approach to a General Election, for campaign purposes only. . . . . Phil

Just received a fine from them of $170 for being 8 days late with a payment so in turn I had the pleasure of sending them a fine for $850 as they were more than 23 weeks late sending my income tax refund from last year. Used their criteria: $170 per 28 days or part thereof, works for me. Rule of law in Australia, thus the rules apply to everyone equally.

Just received a fine from them of $170 for being 8 days late with a payment so in turn I had the pleasure of sending them a fine for $850 as they were more than 23 weeks late sending my income tax refund from last year. Used their criteria: $170 per 28 days or part thereof, works for me. Rule of law in Australia, thus the rules apply to everyone equally.

GG sending the ATO a bill...please let us know how that goes..seriously..I know my tax return is always late..if it works for you I may try later this year..good luck.

David

................ don't argue with the tax office

................ don't enter into any correspondence with the tax office

.................. pay what the tax office wants

................. life is much easier this way

.................. having said that when I fill out my tax returns - if there are any curly questions - I leave them alone and they no doubt fill them out - so they are helpful as well

The tax office is legislation driven. I suggest that the first port of call for your dunny cart is your local politician - they are the ones who approve the rules and thus the behaviours of all public servants. And the fewer public servants the greater the tendency for them to chuck the rule book at infractors rather than giving full and due consideration to genuine requests.