Windows 10 free and interesting

Admin

That's all very nice if you want to be attached to the Net 24/7, but what happens to those who have a life. I know Microsoft has stopped supporting it, but I have software that operates quite happily on XP Professional SP3. And I haven't got any quicker with my typing since I used a wordprocessor with MS-DOS way back when.

I'm not a Luddite, but these new OSs are not essential for everybody.

Old Man Emu

It is most probable that it is strategic. This will have a huge impact on developers and development not only with the new browser, hopefully they will abide by browser rules this time and not create their own rules, but also that windows 10 being cross platform. I can see that if you have an android phone you can dump android and install windows on it. This will send app developers straight to windows and MS will get loads of income from apps. It will, in my opinion, cause a huge shakeup in the whole IT industry especially against Google and Apple

I might wait till you guys sort out all the bugs for me.

Be aware though that the free upgrade offer is extended for only twelve months from the launch date, but that is still long enough to let a whole lot of early adopters upgrade and react so you can Google their complaints and make a truly informed upgrade decision in four or five months.

To be honest I haven't seen a real innovation from Microsoft since XP, I currently use 7 and have found 8 to be a very good mobile phone system, albeit not close to Apple Phone software.

I want an operating system that sits there without a major resources drain, lets me see where my files really are, doesn't require a reboot for a 2kb driver file and lets decent software run without bloody blue screens!

I just upgraded my desktop to Win 7 from Vista because this site used to not behave properly with the highest upgrade of Internet Explorer that was available in Vista, I did strike just one other site complained about my browser too. The computer boots up nearly twice as fast on Win 7 than it did in Vista. The Vista wasn't a clean install but was extensively tuned up so I wouldn't complain about windows 7.

Never had any significant problems with Vista and moved to Win 7 when I bought a new laptop. There was a free upgrade to Win 8 but never felt the need. I did Win 8 on a touchscreen desktop for a friend who is not into computers and it seemed OK.

The big revelation I had today is I can probably break my addiction to MS Outlook after decades - now that I have Apple phone/tablet. I keep Contacts and Calendar and Notes on the Apple stuff and am wondering about deleting mail from the laptop that never leaves my desk and the big screen.

Only thing the tablet is not good for is Spreadsheets though I haven't tried Excel on the tablet (iPad) yet.

I want an operating system that sits there without a major resources drain, lets me see where my files really are, doesn't require a reboot for a 2kb driver file and lets decent software run without bloody blue screens!

....isn't that called Linux?

Guest Andys@coffs

Devil is in the detail.......

I worry that the free upgrade will see me free upgrade from a perpetual win 7 license to a 12 month term license win 10.......

I believe that Microsoft is looking at doing what Adobe did, get rid of perpetual licenses with support agreements that a customer has choice as to whether they pick that element up or not, and replace it with term licenses that have support built in such that you can't choose to have it or not.....

If that is the case then beware your free upgrade because to use an old analogy it looks much like a Trojan horse

Andy

I worry that the free upgrade will see me free upgrade from a perpetual win 7 license to a 12 month term license win 10.......

It's also possible that they're heading down the Apple path. When you buy Apple hardware, it has an operating system on it, and it continues to upgrade for the life of the product (or until they stop supporting that piece of hardware, which is the case for both my phone and tablet). Lack of support after a few years nudges you down the path of purchasing new hardware, and guess who's selling that? Apple... Did you notice in the blog that Ian posted to start this thread just how much Microsoft were pushing hardware? :)

It's also possible that they're heading down the Apple path. When you buy Apple hardware, it has an operating system on it, and it continues to upgrade for the life of the product (or until they stop supporting that piece of hardware, which is the case for both my phone and tablet). Lack of support after a few years nudges you down the path of purchasing new hardware, and guess who's selling that? Apple... Did you notice in the blog that Ian posted to start this thread just how much Microsoft were pushing hardware? :)

Yup I have decided to keep my iphone 5 which just ran out of it's 2 year contract. Telstra has told me to be careful of future updates as Apple are sneaky and remove some features on older phones during updates.

I really want one of the new 12inch surface pro 3 tablets from MS but the two big things stopping me is in this day and age mobility is what tablets are all about and who in their right mind would make a fantastic tablet that doesn't have connectivity outside of wifi. The only way you can use this tablet away from wifi is to carry around a dongle with you to connect to the internet when on the go. The other major drawback with it is the way the pen just attaches to the side, i bet you will lose a few of these over time unlike other tablets where the pen inserts into the housing.

Yup I have decided to keep my iphone 5 which just ran out of it's 2 year contract. Telstra has told me to be careful of future updates as Apple are sneaky and remove some features on older phones during updates.

Yep. What they do is if they update an app for the latest OS, then they make it no longer available for the previous ones, and if you have - say - an iPhone 4 which can't run the latest OS, then you can no longer get those upgraded apps.

Yep. What they do is if they update an app for the latest OS, then they make it no longer available for the previous ones, and if you have - say - an iPhone 4 which can't run the latest OS, then you can no longer get those upgraded apps.

But they do encourage via nag screens and allow you to upgrade to an OS that the iphone 4 almost chokes on but from which it can't be reversed so the user quickly gets dissatisfied with the now choked down device. It a great proportion of these cases they get to sell a new later model device. Very sound business model.