Practical aspects of Metric -v- Imperial measurement systems

old man emu

My bandsaw is a small DIY/Hobbyist machine. The thing that is most important with bandsaws is setting up the blade and guides. Also, experience using the tool is important, otherwise you break blades, which is what I have done. Bunnings wants $35 for a Ryobi blade, but I can get them - not Ryobi - for about $15 with free postage from suppliers in Australia. 

I tried to repair my broken one by soldering with silver solder, but the solder would not adhere to the steel. Is that usual with the steel used in saw blades?

OME - How did you set the join? An overlap or a butt join? An overlap join with the ends ground at a low angle is best. There are also silver solders and silver solders.

Use silver solder with a high silver content, it's easier to apply, and it flows better. Also, make sure your silver solder flux is fresh.

Some useful advice in the link below.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/welding-bandsaw-blades-silver-solder-323408/

The bloke in the video below has a satisfactory level of welding success, just using ordinary solder!

• Like 1