If you thought aircraft parts are expensive.........

Pilot Pete

I have been doing an engine rebuild on a 1983 Kawasaki Z1300 and to date have spent about $4000 on parts.

on top of that will be labour costs and machine work(rebores etc).

Its funny that my wife doesn't mind the money being spent on something she enjoys riding on,but try putting a few dollars towards the plane.................... Spanish Inquisition here we come.

I seem to recall a bill for $1500 for camchains and tensioners for a VF1000F about 15 years ago. These days I try to stick with two strokes for restorations, at least the parts prices are not so bad....

If the VF1000F is anything like a VF750F, I would have considered setting it on fire. Would have been more gratifying than riding it.

I have a CB550 from 1978... thats a 4cyl... Last time I kicked it into splutterence was a year ago-ish. Is it going to be cheaper to just drag it to the wreckers? It really only needs a headlight and bracket, a brake overhaul and some good old-fashioned mechanical tuning.

No mate. Got it from a far-outer Brissie/Goldie suburb. It was in that part between the two I can't tell where Brisbane ends and GC starts.

It's on the one-day list... the list I keep swearing to myself I'll start ticking off next weekend, every weekend.

I did up a 1966 Suzuki T20, and parts for that mostly came from the Netherlands and the UK. That wasn't a cheap exercise, but nothing like a Z1300. Current project is a 1973 Suzuki A100, parts are readily available in Thailand of all places.

I have a CB550 from 1978... thats a 4cyl... Last time I kicked it into splutterence was a year ago-ish. Is it going to be cheaper to just drag it to the wreckers? It really only needs a headlight and bracket, a brake overhaul and some good old-fashioned mechanical tuning.

Worth about $4000 to Japan in it's current state.

That is a cool looking machine you have there Pete, I can understand why you would invest the money into it, although I reckon Geoff13 would think It'd be better painted yellow.....!

What's been happening with your N11 , have you finished your flying with Kev..?

cheers

JimG

Had a VF750FD. Couple of grand to fix the cam chains.

Great bike otherwise........unreal sound from the pipes with a couple of "sports"mufflers.

A noise only a V4 can make I recon......

Memorys coming back now......16 inch front made turning interesting at times too

W

what about my 74 xl350E. $$$$$

Yeah, worth $100, I'll be there tomorrow to pick it up ..... spacer.png

Seriously, was worth about $2000 a few years back to the Vintage MX crowd in Oz, not sure if up or down now.

The Japanese want the old Superbikes, anything 1960's or SR500 Yamahas - they still make brand new SR400s unchanged from the 70's except for a front disc and now EFI, there's a huge cult following for them in Japan.

I did up a 1966 Suzuki T20, and parts for that mostly came from the Netherlands and the UK. ....

Brings back good memories. I also owned a T20 and it was awesome for the time. My father bought it for my brother and I as teenagers and at first we were embarrassed with it and refused to ride it as our current ride was a Matchless 500 (which we probably pushed more than we actually rode). We thought it was a ladies scooter until our father challenged us to a mini drag race against the Matchy. No contest we thought, a 500 was better than a 250 scooter any day. We soon changed our view when the T20 absolutely blew us to the weeds on the Matchy. The 6 speed twin 250 cc was incredibly fast for its day. A few years later I rebuilt the engine and couldn't get original pistons so used trail bike ones but had to machine the head slightly as the piston crown was too high. I also fitted twin expansion chambers less silencers and that made it even faster although not strictly street legal. Wish I still had it. Eric

Yeah, worth $100, I'll be there tomorrow to pick it up ..... spacer.png

Seriously, was worth about $2000 a few years back to the Vintage MX crowd in Oz, not sure if up or down now.

The Japanese want the old Superbikes, anything 1960's or SR500 Yamahas - they still make brand new SR400s unchanged from the 70's except for a front disc and now EFI, there's a huge cult following for them in Japan.

Gee i wish i still had my 750 Honda cop bike , carn't remember the model , but its the one the hell angles thought was a real bike . 1976 i think ?