A cure for our kids' illiteracy?

old man emu

I was thinking about some of the benefits of the digital age.   In my work I need a music score writing software program (like a word processor but for music)   For many years I used a software package that costs around $800. I have to admit that I did have a dodgy copy but eventually it would not run on newer versions of windows.

These days luckily I use a very powerful open source software package that is completely free to use. This began life as a crowd funded project and has the goals of with the help of it's users digitising all public domain music. I have done some digitising for them. This makes a large an ever growing library of music available for free to anyone who can access the net.

"OpenScore[edit]

In 2017, MuseScore and IMSLP launched a Kickstarter for OpenScore, an initiative to create MuseScore and MusicXML versions of public domain music from IMSLP's library.[59]

OpenScore wants to digitise and liberate all public domain sheet music, including the great classics of Mozart, Beethoven and Bach. Our community aims to transfer history’s most influential pieces from paper into interactive scores which you can listen to, edit and share. Together, we can make sheet music accessible to everyone. For free, for any purpose, for evermore.

I would assume that this kind of thing is happening in many other areas also.  I can only see this as a positive thing overall.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this "restorers" work around here. He puts in new motors and transmissions and air-conditioning and you get a great hot-rod.

Only the body looks like a 1940's thing, but it has been stripped right back and painted better than when new.