Anyone use WHATSAPP ?

Phil Perry

I don't. My Daughter does though and she passed on this post via email. Might be rubbish, might be something in it.

An IT colleague has advised that a video comes out tomorrow from WhatsApp called martinelli - do not open it , it hacks your phone and nothing will fix it. Spread the word.

If you receive a message to update the Whatsapp to Whatsapp Gold, do not click !!!!!

Now mentioned on the news - this virus is difficult and severe

Message ends.

Have to say that SNOPES reckon that this is crap. I wouldn't know as I don't download stuff on my phone. Use it for calling people and as a WIFI hotspot.

Phil said "Use it for calling people and as a WIFI hotspot."I heard a rumour that 4 & 5 G "phone WI FI hotspot's can be better than the compulsorily NBN, that's too slow for Netflix & Utube.

spacesailor

I didn't mean it in that way Spacey,. .. What I meant was that I tend to use the PC for downloading what I want. We don't have a landline into this property, so No Broadband.

I don't download any movies as that would use my monthly mobile phone data allowance very quickly. I use the phone as a hotspot and tether my laptop to it. 4 + 5G would be wonderful, but I only get 3G here, even though my samsung phone is 4G capable. There just isn't the available bandwidth. I have trouble using skype and lose the video regularly ! Both Daughters don't use landline phones either, but they have Fibre Optic broadband the pair of Rich Gits ( ! ) That's great when you have two healthy salaries coming into one home ! SWMBO and I don't work so have to budget a bit tighter on pensions !

Just the same downunder

Will very soon lose the "landline,fax & medic-alert.

COMPULSARY NBN,

I have checked with my phone provider & can have a wireless modem for WiFi, so even my desktop will work, but not the "medic-alert, and all is able to go on holiday when I'm traveling, Great.

5G is on the books but not available to us poor mortals at the moment.

When I'm told "No More Cable" I will want their obsolete equipment removed. (We're on number three lot of wire connector, Telstra/Optus & now NBN is connected to this most humble abode( BIRD perching wire))

I bet they've Not figured that cost in.

I did notice the lack of TV antenna's in the UK on the last visit, & most were on a pay (for movies) system

spacesailor

Just the same downunderWill very soon lose the "landline,fax & medic-alert.

COMPULSARY NBN,

I have checked with my phone provider & can have a wireless modem for WiFi, so even my desktop will work, but not the "medic-alert, and all is able to go on holiday when I'm traveling, Great.

5G is on the books but not available to us poor mortals at the moment.

When I'm told "No More Cable" I will want their obsolete equipment removed. (We're on number three lot of wire connector, Telstra/Optus & now NBN is connected to this most humble abode( BIRD perching wire))

I bet they've Not figured that cost in.

I did notice the lack of TV antenna's in the UK on the last visit, & most were on a pay (for movies) system

spacesailor

They say a man is judged by the company he keeps,. . . .Most of my friends watch subscription channels, sport / movies very cheaply, using a one off purchase Amazon Firestick, then naughtily altered, or the ubiquitous KODI box, again a one off purchase, re-coded every few months for around a fiver. Can't do this without a broadband connection though.

Had a Word with Telstra, who said I need to upgrade all my equipment, ( as it's analogue, great when kids & gkids try to phone 1300 number because it needs a second "button" pushed))

I still have a new box of thermal fax paper rolls, for the Sharpe 3 in one,

I don't get many landline calls but the Fax was worth it's weight in gold, especially dealing with Social Security, who many times in the past have denied receiving that call, or leave you hanging on the phone forever.

It took the manager of the Health service to stop the run-around they do.

spacesailor

• 2 months later...
Now in the UKthere's a plethora of TV aerials in the same view I had a few years back.

Perhaps the cost for the extra media was not such a good investment that people thought, when they signed up to it.

spacesailor

SKY TV, / Sports, Netflix and one other media subscription used to cost us circa £148.00 monthly.. . we decided that we could do without it, and dumped the £147.50 per annum BBC licence tax as well.

Our UHF aerial is receiving 'Freeview' only. . . .This is a Digital service. . .Shame the programming is poor. ( Old adage : 'You get what you Pay For' ) Many Advertising channels, . . some old TV drama shows, Occasionally BBC4 re-runs of interesting stuff ( NOT live streamed broadcasts, some reasonable comedy ( Old stuff,. . modern comedy is not amusing at all ) Travel Channel. . .a few good progs on there too, so not too bad for free.

We occasionally buy 'Box Sets' of movies / series on DVD dirt cheap from Amazon, which fills up most of the TV viewing that we bother with. . .and NO BBC TV Tax required.

We have no landline, so no broadband / Sky, Netflix etc. It's Liveable with. . . .good enuf for a couple of old pensioner codgers anyhow.

Talking about "landline,broard band"

A local rag reported, "A welsh village, Michaeston Y Fedw, Have put their OWN optical cables in & connected to NGD facility to get broad-band at 940 mbps ".

That's the way to go !, cut out the expensive ISP ripoff merchants and do it your self, at 30 pound a month,

I know BT, & aussies Telstra, won't try to match that, even at twice the price.

spacesailor

• 2 weeks later...
Talking about "landline,broard band"A local rag reported, "A welsh village, Michaeston Y Fedw, Have put their OWN optical cables in & connected to NGD facility to get broad-band at 940 mbps ".

That's the way to go !, cut out the expensive ISP ripoff merchants and do it your self, at 30 pound a month,

I know BT, & aussies Telstra, won't try to match that, even at twice the price.

spacesailor

I'd like to see the model. Was it designed and installed in a professional manner or was it strung among the trees. In my youth I suspected some of the energy retailers planted trees, waited til they were big enough and then strung the power lines - they were rough. The original Optus Cable was strung along the power poles using substandard equipment. They were so bad that Optus stole the Telstra phone lines to provide Optus broadband (or was that to hijack the ADSL capacity to block Telstra). NBN has refused to use the Optus Cable despite having paid dearly for it. A properly engineered and installed system isn't cheap.