BBC BOILING MY URINE AGAIN. . . .

Phil Perry

My points are the ABC is tax payer funded and therefore should not be biased, LOCP maintain the ABC is fine and fair because it is biased in the same way they are.

Bias is very difficult to determine, it seems that to many people anything that does not agree with that persons gut feeling is therefore biased. I have a friend who has worked for the ABC and then the BBC and now is back in Australia working for a commercial TV station. She says that from any political interview the complaints would come from both sides claiming bias. At least a program like Q and A attempts to balance the panel and also attempts to vet and balance the audience although of course this can be tricky. I think the problem for most people seems to be "I pay for the ABC why wont it say what I think" People who are left or right tend to see themselves as being in the centre and any deviation from that is they see as bias. I am not sure that we would be better off with only the commercial interests providing news and current affairs.

Personally I try to get my news from as many different sources as possible, don't believe or disbelieve anything just because it "feels" right.

As for whether the ABC has a problem with bias I think there have been a few enquiries, here is a report about some of them (in a paper that some might consider conservative). http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/audits-exonerate-abc-over-bias-claims/news-story/3ad4ba13a0751a74c2b417c13dcb52d6

Just wondering what your most trusted source of news is?

My points are the ABC is tax payer funded and therefore should not be biased, LOCP maintain the ABC is fine and fair because it is biased in the same way they are.

Well let's get down to the nitty gritty.

Exactly what has the ABC said which you consider biased? Don't just say "the vibe". Give some examples.

Do you honestly believe that an unbiased news source should wholeheartedly reflect your views on everything?

Exactly what has the ABC said which you consider biased?

I answered the phone at a sheep station homestead at one time when no one else was around and it was an ABC reporter, for radio I think. He asked me what my connection with property was and I told him I was a pilot conducting flight training there, he then seized on that and thought this was a good opportunity for him. The guy then proceeded to interview me and tried to get me to say things I didn't think or believe about the NSW government of the day. At the time there been a weather event and a lot of small lambs died which no one saw coming, the fact was even if they had warning what could they do? Australian sheep stations are quite large. Anyway this guy tried to put words in my mouth to the effect the NSW government was to blame for this because of funding cut backs to the weather forecasting people.

I answered the phone at a sheep station homestead at one time when no one else was around and it was an ABC reporter, for radio I think. He asked me what my connection with property was and I told him I was a pilot conducting flight training there, he then seized on that and thought this was a good opportunity for him. The guy then proceeded to interview me and tried to get me to say things I didn't think or believe about the NSW government of the day. At the time there been a weather event and a lot of small lambs died which no one saw coming, the fact was even if they had warning what could they do? Australian sheep stations are quite large. Anyway this guy tried to put words in my mouth to the effect the NSW government was to blame for this because of funding cut backs to the weather forecasting people.

And of course this could only happen with an evil ABC journalist, The thing is I know a few journalists that have worked for the ABC AND for commercial media outlets, I don't believe their journalistic standards changed when they went to the commercial media. Perhaps more specific examples would help me understand the ABCs alleged bias. By the way you did not tell me what was flawed about the various enquiries into alleged ABC bias.

The ABC never yet found a problem that more government couldn't fix.

Every news bulletin and opinion piece (they are generally combined) is a repetitious carp for more regulation, more government and more public spending.

Could you give me specific examples? It is rather difficult to argue with general allegations.

Pretty sure your never going to manage that.

No specific examples then? Even if you think that you will never convince me, perhaps you might convince others on this forum. These days people ON BOTH sides tend to believe generalisations such as this is fascist or this is biased or this is communist but personally I am only interested in verifiable facts.

Just to be clear, I do not think the ABC is perfect but I would rather watch a long and detailed interview on the ABC than A Current Affair.

If you distrust the ABC then why do you watch it, if you don't watch it how do you ascertain it's content.