I don't want to be on Social Media!

old man emu

I had an enquiry from a potential client today asking about my competencies and qualifications to enable me to do a job for the client. A fair question, but what irked me was that in asking around about my ability to do the job, one reply was that these qualifications were not posted on Linkedin. The client suggested that I should update my profile.

I opened a Linkedin account some years ago, but found that all the result I got was junk mail from Linkedin, and requests to invite other poor sods to join. For a long time I ignored the site as i was too busy to be sitting down at a computer answering drivel - I need that time to post drivel here.

I choose not to be on Linkedin, nor Facebook for that matter. Does that make me some sort of Luddite? Everywhere I go I see people addicted to digital social media - face down, peering at a small screen as they travel about, oblivious to their surroundings.

Although I carry a mobile phone for use in emergencies (like when I forget what the missus sent me to the supermarket to buy), it is just an ancient wire less telephone. It is quicker to make a voice call than send a text message with it.

Is it so socially incorrect nowadays to divorce oneself from the whole social media scene, and to prefer actual personal interactions?

OME

I have never used social media, in fact this is the only website I am a member of.

Is it so socially incorrect nowadays to divorce oneself from the whole social media scene, and to prefer actual personal interactions?

OME

Not really. But it depends on your personal circumstances.

I use FB a lot but as others have explained, both my wife and I live a long way from our family members, and both being ex-military, most of our old friends are scattered all over Australia and overseas. FB is extremely useful for chatting and keeping up with these people - much more than picking up the phone which more often than not just ends up in me having to talk to an inanimate recorded message. At least on FB I can see when they're online and chat in real time. If I'm doing something I can just respond to them later when I get a chance. I can post photos (yeah I hate food shots and couldn't care what they ate for dinner, but it's not that common!) and see their family photos etc. Every interaction whether live chatting or commenting on their adventures is at your own convenience. The only disadvantage is you sometimes accept friend requests from people you knew a long time ago, then realise they've turned into bitter and angry nutters in their old age. The "unfollow" feature comes in handy so crap they re-post and spew out doesn't get in your News Feed and you're none the wiser. It's essentially an "ignore" feature.

Having said that, I hate - despise - LinkedIn. I got so much spam crap from them that I also took myself off it. You get "invites" to connect with people you barely even know but the LinkedIn system seems to cross the "seven degrees of separation" with ease and tries to connect you up! I tried Twitter and just found it not at all to my liking so I deleted that account barely having used it. The other social media sites I've never bothered with.

However I think it's pretty unreasonable for a business to insist or imply that you should have a social media account. Totally unnecessary for most types of employment except a Social Media Manager I would suggest!

Social media of all types is what you make of it.

If you can master the skill to use it for your convenience as Octave and Dutchy have stated, you win. That is what I do with remote family as well. You don't have to be a social media victim.

I use FB for remote family contact and special interest groups and LinkedIn for professional contact special interest groups. I don't accept all invites on either media.

To me they have both personal and professional benefits and I use them for that purpose.

Don't forget YOU have control; you don't have to let it control you.

Interesting to read the various responses here, OME. My attitude looks to be similar to yours: in my case I think it's an age and generation thing, also very much the 'longhand' styles of communication I prefer (I seem incapable of a short answer).

My son created a Facebook account for me, I took myself off after about a year when the inane verbosities and the faux empathising got the better of me. Last year I also ditched my smartphone and went back to my old flip-phone. Maybe I'm living backwards (like Merlin in The Once and Future King) as I am also an automation engineer with excellent legacy customers, while back in '69 I was troubleshooting mainframes for a living.

My view? I don't see any 'should' about it. But then I grew up in a diversified world and am resistant to homogenisation.

I do count myself as fortunate to have lived a life that began before the computer era, so that I have some of the manual 'old school' skills.

But having said that, I find I read the posts of one or two people here with envy: those people who are able to make the 'new' media work for them in their family and personal lives. Much as I dislike 'shoulds'...I'm thinking that I should try again.

The good thing about social media is, it's not mandatory.However, you will be falling light years behind the rest.

I don't think you can assume that, turbo. Although it's certainly interesting that you have.

And you're also presupposing that staying 'up' with 'the rest' is the preferred position......no?