Fergy Tractor Problem - any ideas?

pmccarthy

My usually reliable Fergy 135 has dumped its coolant into the sump. I pulled the head and had it tested and skimmed, then reassembled with new oil and filter. Ran it today and there is a lot of coolant in the sump again. It is a dry sleeve Perkins donk so can't be a sleeve corrosion problem. I cant think why it might have cracked the block. Nest step is to pull the water pump and check that the back plate hasn't corroded through. Then I am stumped. You blokes seem to have a lot of mechanical nouse - so any ideas? If you can make aeroplanes fly then a 3 cylinder diesel should be easy. spacer.png

Easiest thing to do is drop the sump off and pressurize the radiator/cooling system and see if it's dripping out anywhere. If it's corrosion of the bore (still a possibility) that will also indicate which one it's coming from.

I'm pretty sure the head bolts go into water jackets on those...? Sometimes if it was installed without sealant on the thread sometimes it can leak out that way, fairly rare but has happened. How'd the block look when you had it apart, clean and flat?

Hi everyone thanks for the thoughts. Pulled the water pump this morning and discovered the PO (who rebuilt the engine) had mounted it onto the alloy timing case without a fibre backing plate. So the water had corroded through into the timing case. But it has taken 12 years to do so. Problem solved (I hope).