Melbourne now the frontline

fly_tornado

The centre of Melbourne will be swamped with police on Friday and Saturday night in a huge multi-agency operation to target everything from antisocial behaviour to outstanding warrants.

Booze buses, drug detector dogs and number-plate recognition cars will be deployed across the CBD in Operation Fortitude, police said.

Officers from the transport police, the Australian border force and the sherriff’s office will take part, giving “particular focus on people travelling to, from and around the CBD”, a statement said.

The ABF regional commander for Victoria and Tasmania, Don Smith, is proud the force will be taking part.

“While the ABF regularly conducts a range of compliance fieldwork, this is the first time we’ve been involved in an inter-agency operation of this nature and we’re very proud be able to support each of our organisations to achieve our common mission of promoting a secure and cohesive society here in Melbourne.”

He added: “ABF officers will be positioned at various locations around the CBD speaking with any individual we cross paths with.

“You need to be aware of the conditions of your visa; if you commit visa fraud you should know it’s only a matter of time before you’re caught out.”

More details are expected to be released at a media conference at 2pm on Friday.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/aug/28/border-force-police-join-stop-and-search-crackdown-in-melbourne-cbd

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen this on the news, now the "professional protesters" have got wind of this and the authority's have cancelled a press conference on the steps of flinders street station as these protesters have shut down the streets of Melbourne.

I wonder who will put up their hand to "OWN" this one. We won't have the "ON WATER" protection applying though the river is not far away and there's an Island to the south with some devils on it. Van DEMON's Land it was called once. They haven't got an AFL team yet but there could be a threat anytime, so a bit of ALARM is warranted. Nev

Just seen this on the news, now the "professional protesters" have got wind of this and the authority's have cancelled a press conference on the steps of flinders street station as these protesters have shut down the streets of Melbourne.

Yup Melbourne has a huge rent a crowd.

Looks like "Operation Freedom" to me.

You should not be worried, just part of the new normal. Black shirts with Guns brought to you by the Abbott Government. Bringing freedom to a country near you.

Meanwhile- Abbott considers a Republic could be good idea, has already started thinking of new names including:

AustraStazi

Abbottabadland

Abbottastan

Freedomanot

Liberalstaziland

The Ministery for Propaganda will welcome all ideas.

Nev, there are people around here who would protest at the opening of an envelope. If people are breaking the law, breaching their visa conditions, etc., they deserve to be caught out and dealt with, and shouldn't be supported by rent-a-riot. Next thing you'll have them sticking up for guys who murder their girlfriends children. I don't buy being on ice or crack as a mitigating excuse, either.

How bloody creative...

If I was stopped on the street going about my daily business by an ABF official who wanted to question me or see proof of my right to be here, the response would be swift and not very complimentary.

Someone in the ABF needs to be taken around the back and "counselled". Also, Abbott and Dutton need to tone down their own rhetoric which has the effect of emboldening officials within the organisation to say stupid stuff.

The mistake was all in the wording of the press release.

A logical thinker would realise that interviewing around three million people in Melbourne would not be a very productive way of catching the few thousand illegal immigrants.

How the Prime Minister could be blamed for this when the ABF commander already has taken responsibility for the concept and strategy of this operation, consigned it to the dustbin, and will do better in the future says a lot about how up to speed some people are.

There are some streams of people being brought in to the country using methods such as student visas, and employed as cheap labour, and particularly in Melbourne you can see the population bulging in vocations like taxis, restaurants etc, so there is a definite need for border checking. The British do it well.

IF you think it was just about the wording you are following their excuse line which is quite peurile. It's a wedging plan to define Abbortt as tough and make the others compromised. Part of the run up to the next election. Dutton might cop a few questions . Nev

Better get out and look around FH, your party has also recognised the problem. This has nothing to do with refugees, there are unscrupulous Australians trading in cheap labour. As part of a Planning matter where I was working in conjunction with an investigating journalist, my sources uncovered a fifty million dollar purchase of land by a certain ethnic group who had made good money in a certain line of business. We then managed to find out who was organising the new ethnic group members to come in on student visas, and we tracked their income to a certain industry, and we tracked the employment organisers to one family in that industry. On that occasion, as often happens, the group withdrew their threat, the minister changed direction, and the story never emerged. We never found out exactly how many of that ethnic group got into Melbourne, but it was probably around a thousand, and they have been flowing in for years, none being students and never returning home.

If you look at that case, the ABF could certainly stroll around looking a people of that ethnic group, and would be successful in deporting most of them, so the idea wasn't all wrong.

History repeats itself:

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.--Josph Goebbels, Nazi propaganda minister

“The people can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders. All you have to do is tell them that they are in danger of being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.” Hermann Goering

When Abbott was a lad he must have picked up Mein Kampf, thinking it was a German Boy Scout manual.

OME