Where are the feral chickens?

old man emu

Can you see it?

But can you imagine anyone trying to dob you in? Lol

"I saw a huge bird fly low over my house" says cranky sue to the CASA dobline (cranky Sue is a fictitious character and any resemblance to real current or past people is entirely coincidental and unintentional!)

"And....." Replies the CASA operator

"Well it was making a hell of a racket and I was wondering if you could have a word to him about flying over my house" says Sue

"So let me get this straight, you want me to have a word to a large aircraft about flying over your house?" Queried CASA Cam

"it was a big chook!" States Sue

"A what?" Asks Cam (also a fictitious character)

"A big chook, actually looked like a big rooster" sue says

Anyway I've gone on enough, you get my point:juggle:

FT Warning: I'm about to write something about foxes.

Amazing animals; there is a heavy population right through urban Melbourne.

Our next door neighbour sells chooks and ducks, and despite buying a Marema to protect them, there's a stream of feathers radiating out from his property.

One morning I saw a fox with a huge rooster in his jaws crossing our front lawn. I figured I had him trapped because the fences are sheep mesh but he just walked up to the fence, twisted and put the head through, twisted again and put the tail through and then just walked through, ignoring me.

Used to be feral foxes living around the industrial estate near Eagle Farm in Brisbane 15 years ago.

I had an interesting discussion about feral dogs with a farmer a few weeks ago, I got the impression that the farming community still don't seem to understand where the dogs are coming from.

You must have some thick farmers round your way FT.

I am a farmer and me and all my farmer mates round here know where dogs come from.

You see, when a mummy dog and a daddy dog love each other very much.....

Is that real or a model, more information please.Alan.

It's real. Really looks BAD. Nev

Oh I don't mind it, the paint job is fabulous ....

I read a fair bit about it when it first flew. It was/is the folly of a rather eccentric Italian man (IIRC). Whatever one thinks of the looks, fugly or funny, I have to admire the idea of building something quite out-of-the-ordinary. For that reason I give it a 9/10. Not sure whether others noticed but it has a 200W tannoy system as well, you can see the megaphone in the photo above, in the left gear leg apex, and he plays high decibel rooster crowing and other sounds during his dawn patrols ...

By his account the handling is docile. But what must be its best feature would be the visibility - at least as good as any other aircraft I've seen, particularly forward and down, probably much like flying in the gondola of an airship.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a young bloke and before the mechanical sugar cane harvesters came into the sugar industry, there would be hundreds of men, of all nationalities, in every sugar cane growing town, through out Queensland! They were the men who cut and loaded the sugar cane, to be sent to the various sugar mills, for processing into raw sugar...They lived, mostly on farm, in what was called "The Barracks."....In those days, most of the cane cutters had guns, of one sort or another and they regularly went out to the bush, to hunt the Brush Turkey, for food.... The cane cutters wern`t the only ones doing the hunting, either!...Like a lot of kids of my era, I had a .22 rifle and I was a pretty good shot.

In the rain forest, the turkey stays on the ground, scratching for food, most of the day and they are difficult to find because of the vegetation.... Most hunters had dogs, mostly, Fox Terriers, trained to find and chase the turkey into a tree....Once it was in the tree, the dog would stay at the base of tree, barking at the turkey, until the hunter found the tree..Some guys were not satisfied, with one or two, they`d bag as many as they could and turkey`s became scarce.....Finally! The turkey became protected and the cane cutters were fazed out by the machines...With no more hunting, the number of turkey`s has increased dramatically.

Last week, Fran and I took a couple of people to the Goldsborough camp site, in the national park...Brush Turkey`s were scratching around, not the least bit concerned that we were there.

This is the Scrub Fowl or Scrub Hen, also found in the rain forest.

[ATTACH]47665._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Frank.

870391828_megapode-reinwardt-pi1(Large).thumb.jpg.9f16c4d358a9bd724ff86905a808932e.jpg