Why all the fuss over Pearl Harbour?

nomadpete

12 hours ago, onetrack said:

I think the main thing that turns a lot of people from the Allied Nations off, is the onslaught of American movies, that, without fail, show America as the hero, coming to the Allies defence - and singlehandedly conquering the Axis Forces.

They use a lot of this:

r.png

18 hours ago, onetrack said:

I think the main thing that turns a lot of people from the Allied Nations off, is the onslaught of American movies, that, without fail, show America as the hero, coming to the Allies defence - and singlehandedly conquering the Axis Forces.

One of the biggest faux pas the Yanks made was making the film "Objective, Burma" in 1945. It that is loosely based on the six-month raid by Merrill's Marauders in the Burma Campaign during the Second World War. Merrill's Marauders, officially named the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional), was a United States Army long range penetration special operations jungle warfare unit, which fought in the South-East Asian theatre of World War II. 

Even though it was based on the exploits of Merrill's Marauders, Objective Burma was withdrawn from release in the United Kingdom after it infuriated the British public. Prime Minister Winston Churchill protested the Americanization of the huge and almost entirely British, Indian, and Commonwealth conflict ('1 million men'). Objective, Burma! London 1945 premiere was remarkable: At a line in the script, (by an American, to the effect) "We should head north, I hear there might be a few brits somewhere over there" - The entire (English) audience walked out in outrage.

To be fair, Merrill's Marauders was a fine military unit and distinguished itself in carrying out its operations. As a motion picture itself, it was serious, hard and lacks any sort of female interest – the enemy are ruthless and clever and the soldiers still wisecrack, but they are professional, no-nonsense killers who follow orders and get along with each other (unless really stressed) i.e. there is no contrived in-fighting." It apparently is a good docu-drama.

Perhaps the British response was aligned to "Over paid; over sexed, and over here."

• Like 1
  • Informative 1