Grid Reference

willedoo

I was wondering if anyone would have an idea as to the last section of this map reference. The National Archives reference is handwritten as 57d. R28. c.10.15. I've figured out that the map number is 57D, and R28 refers to a one square mile block. The map is divided into sections of six miles by six miles which are numbered as A,B,C etc. and each of these sections contain 36x one square mile blocks numbered one through to 36. The only other numbers on the map are contour height references. The mystery to me is the meaning of the last section of the reference, c.10.15. I was hoping it might be a smaller breakdown of block R28, but can't see anything on the map.

25 - Copy.jpg

Mouquet Farm.jpg

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

I don't know the answer but I have been researching the same area and found help at https://www.greatwarforum.org/

Thanks for that link pm. I've been trying to find out where my Great Uncle was found near Pozieres. He was in the 52nd. Battalion and died near Mouquet Farm during the last AIF assault on the farm in 1916. Have so far narrowed it down to within that square mile grid. Another map had an overlay of the German trench they were attacking, so that brings it down to a 3 or 4 acre area. Probably as close as I will get without the exact coordinates.