CAD drafting

metalman

Hi all, I've been using Auto Cad for a few years but only had a student copy after doing the course at a tafe, the license has now expired and I need to look at getting another program . I mostly do 2D but the 3d looks pretty cool , I see some of the guys here are doing some pretty nice 3d modelling .

So the question is what program? I'm open to suggestions, as I said I mostly need it for 2d , and I need it to be reasonably priced, Auto Cad is around $8-9k for the basic package, as I'm not a drafting business ,I just do my own stuff in house,

Cheers Matty

I use Google Sketch-Up - $free for private use, although you can pay extra to access enhanced features or for commercial use. 3D and access to libraries and drawings by other users (some pretty awful), but you can usually find something to get started or add in - eg furniture, gears. It integrates to Google Maps so you can acquire a building or terrain and work with it. Has a some similarities to Autocad and I found the transition fairly easy. It can convert Autocad files.

I don't use it often, and have no need to output to 3D printer or CNC, so can't comment on its ability there. Good value for the price - $Free - supported by a community of enthusiasts.

Sue

I use Google Sketch-Up -

Yup, fastest, easiest and most logical program out there and extremely underated.

Solid works it may not be and ultimately there's some things it can't do, but I haven't found yet what it can't do, I designed and am having plastic 3D parts printed out - now all done in SU.

3D and access to libraries and drawings by other users (some pretty awful), but you can usually find something to get started or add in - eg furniture, gears.

Yup, one of the best things is the extensive library and plug-ins constantly being developed, there's FEA now for example, all free. Because there's so many using it, it has become like open source, the downside is there's a lot of rubbish as well and I think that's why some turn their nose up at it not looking further into it.

For free CAD I use DraftSight and for 3d Sketchup.

Draftsight requires free annual renewal and you end up with a lot of email offers to upgrade but it does all I want.

Draftsight is a bit like stepping back to office 2003 as it has all small icons and not the big ribbons that AutoCAD/MS Office has adopted.

I use Rhino 5 for 3D work. It is also good for 2D and 2.5D. It exports in a lot of different file formats.

Since I only use it recreational y, I'll admit that my copy sort of fell off the back of a truck. Like all software, it takes a bit of practising to get results, but for someone like me whose prior drawing experience was with ruler and compass, 'how to do' things is soon picked up.

A free 3D program is Autodesk 123 Design, here: http://www.123dapp.com/design

You could try G Simple, here: http://www.gsimple.eu

Old Man Emu

. I mostly do 2D but the 3d looks pretty cool , I see some of the guys here are doing some pretty nice 3d modelling .I'm open to suggestions, as I said I mostly need it for 2d , and I need it to be reasonably priced, as I'm not a drafting business ,I just do my own stuff in house,

Matty

spacer.png

Matty asked for price to be a consideration in any suggestion made. While programs like Rhino, Spaceclaim and SolidWorks are great professional programs, they are pricey. If he hasn't a lot of 3D experience, then he should kick off with one of the suggested Freeware programs until he has got his mind converted from working in 2D to 3D.

OME

ProgeCad 2014 Professional. $545 and identical in all respects to AutoCad. All file sharing including every command is a carbon copy.

You would not know they are two different programs if they were running on two computers side by side.

I'll look into that ,thanks, I'll have go through all the suggestions and see what will work for me, I mostly use it for getting stuff NC cut so if a freebie will work , on the other hand I'm pretty used to autocad so a copy would make the learning curve pretty easy.

Thanks everyone