Use Windows 8.1 like Win 7

Admin

I have been using Windows 8.1 for some time now however I missed the Start menu and other useability features of Windows 7 so I thought I would post what I have done to Win 8.1 to make it like Win 7 for those that feel the same as me.

Here is a screen shot of my desktop of Win 8.1 with the Windows 7 start button feature:

[ATTACH]47443._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Firstly right click on the task bar across the bottom of your screen and select properties, and then click the Navigation tab. Set the settings like this:

[ATTACH]47444._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Next, download and instal a great addon for the Start Button called Start8 which only costs $4.99, (there is a free trial version), don't worry about any of the other products there unless you want

Then use the settings in Start8 to create the Start Button.

If you want the default Win 7 desktop picture, I have included it attached to this post. Just simply download that and set your desktop background to it

Hope this helps to stop being frustrated with Windows 8.1

[ATTACH]47445._xfImport[/ATTACH]

1.jpg

2.jpg

Win7 Desktop.jpg

The 3rd thing I did was to bypass the login screen of Win 8.1. To have Win 8.1 log you in automatically do this:

From the Start screen type "run". Click on Run and type "netplwiz". OK that and highlight your account. Like this:

[ATTACH]47446._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Uncheck "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

Click Apply. Then enter your password and confirm it. Click OK.

Restart your PC and when Windows loads it will automatically log you in.

3.jpg

It seems to me that Windows more or less peaked with XP and progress has all been downhill from there. More complicated, fatter and less intuitive to use. Some should tell Microsoft that perfection is the enemy of good enough, but I guess that won't keep them in business.

rgmwa

It seems to me that Windows more or less peaked with XP and progress has all been downhill from there. More complicated, fatter and less intuitive to use. Some should tell Microsoft that perfection is the enemy of good enough, but I guess that won't keep them in business.rgmwa

If you ask me, it peaked with 98 SE service pack 2.

And BASIC. How I miss programming in BASIC on my 1985 Amstrad with the green screen and tape drive. If I could have looked forward 30 years and seen what was possible with PC's, it would have seemed like magic. Imagine the next 30...

And BASIC. How I miss programming in BASIC on my 1985 Amstrad with the green screen and tape drive. If I could have looked forward 30 years and seen what was possible with PC's, it would have seemed like magic. Imagine the next 30...

The first PC I ever had access to was a Tandy TRS80 that our engineering firm bought. It had a 2.1Mhz 8 bit CPU, 2x87MB floppy drives and 32k of useable RAM after the Basic Interpreter was loaded. Very exciting!! There wasn't really any engineering software around in those days (or much else) so a few of us jumped in and started writing our own. Great fun! I quickly moved on to my most serious project - exploiting this vast computing power to improve my chances of predicting next week's Lotto numbers. However despite a valiant effort, I eventually had to admit that the complex multi-variable algorithm I developed after exhaustive analysis of previous winning results wasn't quite up to scratch. Sadly, I had no alternative but to keep working.

rgmwa

I still have my Microbee - bought in 1983 as a bagful of parts for $299. 2Mhz Z80 and 32K of CMOS Ram. Many hours with a soldering iron later, it worked! Used a doctored 12 inch B&W TV as a monitor and a cassette tape recorder for storage. It grew into 64K Ram and two 5 1/4 inch floppies, with a professional orange screen monitor. For years I have thought about getting it going again - might get around to it one day.

P.S. Am I really that old now??

I'm just plodding along with an I phone

The first computer I ever used (32 years ago) was an IBM 370/125, running DOS/VSE - I was a trainee operator at the time. This machine filled up a room bigger than my house.

The iPhone I carry round now is more powerful!

Mal.

I remember when the folks took out a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy a Commodore 64 when they first came out. Then the DS80 came out which was the ducks guts. It never ends, technology is always moving forward. Just as well computers are cheaper in real terms today than they were back then.

Gordon Moore predicted in 1965 that the number of transistors on a single chip (integrated circuit) would double every 2 years. This became known as Moores Law even though David House of Intel revised this to every 18 month in 1975. Although it is conjecture this rule has proven true to the present day.

In 1980 computer storage cost about $700,000.00 per gigabyte. If this was true now your mobile phone with 16 gb of storage would cost $11,200,000.00. Storage space per unit of cost has doubled approximately every 14 months since 1980.

Technology just keeps improving each year; governments progressively worsen.

Free enterprise rocks! I have a back-up FFT analyser that runs CP/M with 5.25 inch floppies, a clunky keyboard and a small mono CRT screen. Still a fantastic device.... have to remember the necessary commands to run it though.

On topic windows 8.1 is easily the best version yet, stable and very fast. I also use classic shell just for familiarity reasons.

I remember the weather bureau in Melbourne installing as huge 2 gigabyte hard drive assembly in 1991. At that time it was close to the largest in the country. They had to remove part of the side of one floor of the building to get it in. Damn thing was huge. Also remember doing night patrols in Auckland of data centres. Along with paper tape and card programming there was manual disc stacks of 1meg that were removed and replaced in slide out drawers. IBM in Auckland had a mainframe that occupied 2 floors of a multistorey building. My phone has roughly 1000 times the memory of that thing.