Backup

Russ

Well...............i've learnt the hard way............if you don't backup your pewtar to an external hard drive, one day you'll lose the lot..........i just have.

100's of photos, docs...................everything.

My 16mth old "mac pro" had a hard drive "stroke"...........terminal.

( not happy )

That's bad Russ, many of us learned this the hard way I suspect. Any chance of recovering anything off the hard drive? I've had success with swapping the circuit board on one and with freezing another, enabled me to grab chunks of data briefly as it thawed out.

apple guys are sending hard drive south to se if some tecko co, can get into it, but the've indicated about a 20% chance.

They did offer to replace the hard drive tho under extended wty.

Always backup TWICE and store in different locations if it is uber critical

Thats what I do...I had a drive crash many years ago with all my business stuff on it.....what a nightmare...ever since then I run 2 backups one on another drive attached to the computer and to another computer on my internal network....would you believe I have never had a crash since then either.....bloody murphy

Well...............i've learnt the hard way............if you don't backup your pewtar to an external hard drive, one day you'll lose the lot..........i just have.100's of photos, docs...................everything.

My 16mth old "mac pro" had a hard drive "stroke"...........terminal.

( not happy )

My mate Pete works for a " Digital Disaster Management" company in London,. . .now, they carry out hard drive rescue work for people as diverse as banks in the Cayman Islands, who have lots of the Mafia's money, along with the funds belonging to loads of other crooks. They recently went out there and rescued many zillions of terrabytes of data holding bank account details after a serious systems crash. They managed to recover almost 95 percent of the lost data.

I'll bet the bank manager was pleased that he didn't end up with concrete boots feeding the fish. . . . .

They do some really weird stuff like stripping the drive wafers out and reading them in liquid nitrogen or something, ( or was it Fosters Lager. . . ) I don't remember exactly, BUT. . .it depends upon how important your data was. . . . . I asked Pete last year about recovering a bad drive, and his company quoted me ( then ) £80.00 per megabyte of recovered data. . . . .

Happy days. . .

Best of luck anyhow ( whassamarrerwiya,. . . . . Don't you use "Cloud Storage offsite ? ? ? ? ? )

Phil

Guest Andys@coffs

The only problem with a USB HDD is what people do with it between backups.......Most do nothing with it and it remains connected to the machine........depending on the disaster that follows that may well end up being just a wast of time.

My suggestion is that if you go down this route Buy a fireproof safe that is rated for exactly what you are trying to do, and lock it up between backups. Be careful of the claims for fireproof rating. Fireproof for paper is probably not appropriate for a HDD, they will fail temp wise long before paper ignites.....

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

It may suprise most who pay extra for apple, but the only component that is actually apple is the operating system. Everything else is basically the same components that go into plain old PC's.... The other benefit is that Apple make sure they all play well together.