Slarti. . . . .HAVE YOU HEARD. . . . .

Phil Perry

Allo mate, and fellow douglasadams ites. . . . that there is a new book out there, made up since the great man became deceased,. . . . from his notes intended for the next instalment ? ? ? ? you probably have it on your shelf already,. but if you have not,. . . .it is now available.

Check it out Bro. . . . . . . .

Phil. . . .

Note to self, must cancel vacation in Turkey one year and come to OZ to meet Slarti in some bloody pub or other alcohol disbursement premises to discuss important Douglas Adams issues. . . . . .

PS. . . .I'm still working on a prototype of Isaac Asimov's Deane Drive. . . . .

Phil

Wikipedia:

The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time is a posthumous collection of previously unpublished material by Douglas Adams. It consists largely of essays about technology and life experiences, but its major selling point is the inclusion of the incomplete novel on which Adams was working at the time of his death, The Salmon of Doubt (from which the collection gets its title, a reference to the Celtic myth of the Salmon of Wisdom). English editions of the book were published in the USA and UK in May 2002, exactly one year after the author's death.

The original intention of The Salmon of Doubt was a Dirk Gently novel. Adams commented that some of the ideas he developed in Salmon of Doubt were not really working within a Dirk Gently framework. Those ideas would have been salvaged, undergoing necessary changes on the way, and put into a sixth Hitchhiker's book; as he thought that the last book in the series, Mostly Harmless, was a very bleak book and wanted to finish on a slightly more upbeat note.

The plot, set a few weeks after the events in The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, involves Dirk Gently refusing to help find the missing half of a cat, receiving large amounts of money from an unknown client, and then flying to the United States. Dirk pays a visit to Kate Schechter (who had first appeared in The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul) and tells her that prior to the potential client, he had been so bored that he had started a habit of dialling his own phone number and discovered he'd answered his own calls. A faxed summary reprinted before the text mentions travelling "through the nasal membranes of a rhinoceros, to a distant future dominated by estate agents and heavily armed kangaroos."

Salmon Of Doubt - Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time.

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In May of 2002, Harmony (US) and Macmillan HB (UK) will publish posthumously the final book by Douglas Adams, the revered creator of THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, and numerous other bestselling novels. Titled THE SALMON OF DOUBT: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time, this new work is a compilation of writings recovered from the hard drive of Adams’s beloved MacIntosh computer. Included are short stories, essays, lectures, and articles, many published for the first time in book form, and the crown jewel: ten never-before-published chapters of Adams’s longtime work-in-progress, THE SALMON OF DOUBT.

The book begins with an introduction from Douglas Adams's friend of many years, Christopher Cerf, who will also serve as the book’s spokesperson. Included in the text of THE SALMON OF DOUBT are Adams’s first published work (he was 12 years when he penned a fan letter to his favorite boys’ magazine), a hilarious essay he wrote about his nose, a piece about two dogs he fell in love with while living in Santa Fe, a hike up Mount Kilimanjaro dressed as a rhino to support one of his favorite causes, a laugh-out-loud short story called “The Private Life of Genghis Khan” (published for the first time in America), a ten-page story featuring a character from THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE, called "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe,” and a dazzling extemporaneous lecture on the evolution of civilization, “Is There an Artificial God,” presented to a gathering of Cambridge scientists. "We are lucky to have this treasure-trove of truly hilarious and thought-provoking material as a lasting remembrance and tribute to one of the most creative and amusing writers of our time," said Shaye Areheart, Editorial Director of Harmony Books, Douglas's publisher.

Douglas Adams was the author of five novels in THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY Trilogy (yes, you read that right!); two Dirk Gently novels, including THE LONG, DARK TEATIME OF THE SOUL; LAST CHANCE TO SEE (with Mark Carwardine); and THE MEANING OF LIFF and THE DEEPER MEANING OF LIFF (both with John Lloyd). MOSTLY HARMLESS, Douglas's most recent book, spent 8 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list.

Readers meeting this remarkable author for the first time will laugh out loud, inevitably recognizing themselves as never before while Adams pokes loving fun at their human foibles. And Douglas Adams fans won't want to miss this last chance to wander the mind of one of the great comic geniuses of all time.

Harmony : ISBN: 1-4000-4508-8 Contact: crownbiz@randomhouse.com

Macmillan : ISBN: 0-333-76657-1

editorial: n.hursell@macmillan.co.uk

publicity: j.graham@macmillan.co.uk

Please note: the UK version will instead include an introduction by Douglas’s close friend and satirist, Stephen Fry.

-----------------------------

Published after his death

Have his audio books in my collection (as well as the Hitch Hikers DVDs)

I listen to Audio books while flying and driving to aid concentration

Just read it Maj. You will get it .. Or if you don't watch the movie if only for Zooey deschnells legs. I saw the movie first. I would recomend doing that so you won't be one of thos people that whinge that the books better (it is )

Marc

Be nice if there was a new one. I've had Salmon of Doubt for years.I'm not sure Douglas would have approved of new works in his name though.

Damn shame he left this planet before the teatime of old age, or at least the supper of his twilight.

Yeah Mate. . . Salmon's the one,. . . dunno how the HELL I missed that, . . . ( I was getting old in 2002 though. . . ..

I must have missed the 'Salmon' book when I came across 'And Another Thing', supposedly the last episode (part 6 in the trilogy) written by Eoin Colfer (another understudy?).

I felt it tied up most of the loose ends.

[ATTACH]47381._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Colfer has another series of his own that I've made a start on........

AAT.jpeg.473d9f0f476f5b40cd0922d784f6ac0e.jpeg