Playing with Amateur Radio Toy communications

Phil Perry

My daughter IS certified,

To do that "test & tag" but won't have a bar of it, as too many people have gotten around it. Maybe buying the tags from China?.

I CAN but don't test my bits properly, can't be bothered to get out the Mega-Metre, and print "that Tag" to put on a new extension lead, if I need one.

spacesailor

WorkSafe in New South Wales (and its equivalent in the rest of the country) required these Test 'n'Tag tests. The only organisation that makes people get equipment tested before it can be used on a site is the building/construction union.

I contacted WorkSafe a few years ago when I was doing these tests to ask if businesses ( such as hair dressers and small factories were inspected for compliance with Test 'n' Tag. The response? "We only look for tags if there is an incident" Another piece of toothless tiger legislation. That was another little earner I tried that went down the drain with the money I spent to get certified and buy the equipment.

Many companies sprung up in the UK advertising 'Training' as a PAT tester. . .'Make £££££ in your spare time. . .' ! ! Become an authorized PAT tester . . and charge £5.00 per item. they have mostly withered on the vine now. But they made their money, charging £1,500 for a two day course, plus another £1,500 for test equipment . . .

Test and Tag is required for some Government and Educational institutions, and the odd larger orgainsation where they have appointed a 'safety officer'. Had to T & T my daughters gear when she was in residence at Deakin Uni in Melbourne, (it was never inspected by the uni) and it is required in some exhibition areas, (source of POWER for the resident "technician"). I was fortunate - scored a certificate cheaply at the local TAFE, then scored a very inexpensive PAT from a Sydney wholesaler, about A$700 - Kyoritsu, works well. Of course, the beaurocracy keeps coming - it has to be calibrated annually!

I suppose, overall, I have made about -$900 out of the whole exercise.

I don't remember how long the course was we did, one day or 2, but I do remember that there were 2 instructors trying to teach a bunch of ham-fisted builders and cleaners and maintenance types how to replace a 3-pin plug. Knew the instructors well, so I ended up as instructor #3. I really hope none of them ever needed to do it, especially in a hurry ....

David

Youngest Daughter did her last 2 years of University in Bordeaux. We gave hera portable TV , Hifi and other accoutrements, as when we first visited the campus, it was very spartan, One student complained to Daughter ( She was already Ace at French ) that the shared Student Kitchen only had a MANUAL tin opener ( ! ) We were given an official EU document detailing requirements for all electrical goods regulations pertaining to France. Daughter translated it and one of the requirements was that each and every electrical item had to be tested and tagged quarterly. She stayed on thre for an additional six months to complete an additional degree in French 'Interpretation' and the whole time she was there, not ONCE did anyone front up at the campus to test anything. She asked about this a couple of times but was told to write to the EU office in Brussells, In other words,. . a 'Gallic Shrug' The froggies are well known for ignoring all and any regulation which is inconvenient, but the British civil service pursue every line with 'Gestapo like' diligence and enthusiasm.

Really Racked off yesterday, had to go out for a few hours, and in the meantime our washing machine stopped working. Wifey calls out an appliance repair guy, who slid the machine from under the worktop and discovered that the Plug fuse had gone pop in the power lead. A 13 Amp fuse cost me a Forty Bloody Quid callout. ! " Why didn't you ring me love ?" I asks,. . "I tried, but your phone wouldn't work" says she. . .I had been inside a large metal factory complex at the time, but was only away for 3 hours. Why didn't you wait for me to get back ? . . Still waiting for an answer to that. . . .must've been a really vital pair of undies, socks or shirt in there I guess. . . .