Safety going rediculous

Russ

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you still haven't told me of these recent "advances"....what have you got?I'm guessing that you have some involvement in the field.

The company I work for has just employed several extra people and spent just over a million dollars upgrading their safety system....a lot of management are Not happy. As these lot have been visiting every workshop around the country with their great new system showing everyone how it works at great expense, more than a few people have asked "what has changed?" They get red in the face and try to distract people and change the subject, because nothing has changed. They've spent over a year and a lot of money rearranging it and calling it new.

Australian health and safety people need a massive shift in mindset before most people will take them seriously.

Advancements....what are they????????

You are joking right? In Australia someone is still dying at work on average once per week...but overall there have been massive improvements to WH&S in the last 100 years....especially mining.

You are joking right? In Australia someone is still dying at work on average once per week...but overall there have been massive improvements to WH&S in the last 100 years....especially mining.

When you use terms like "recent" in OH&S, I would have considered that to be more around 5 years, not 100. Agree things have improved in the last 100 years. I don't think ant significant improvement has been made in the last 30-40 years though.

In the current safety environment, if people are still dying at work, OH&S is killing them (I was on a work site where a guy was strangled by his Hi-Viz vest.), or they are really stupid and should just be an example of what not to do.

Blindly following OH&S rules will not ensure your safety, in fact they are so rigid and inflexible, at times they are more of a hazard than help.

And no I'm not joking. I have no saviour complex, I'm not here to try save humanity from itself.

chap stepped off the footpath, hit by bus, died...........spoze he should've been wearing hiviz, maybe bus should've miraculously just levitated over him. Numbers of folks every yr drown at our beaches......even patrolled ones, yea, let's ban swimming at beaches........unsafe.Accidents happin.....unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

Reading some posts here, exposes the rediculous pathway, safety is heading. It's now an industry, employs officers/consultants/ trainers/trainers of trainers/paper shufflers/on and on, it goes. Little wunder more and more firms seek off shore facilities, as our incentives / our rules, are just strangling folks.

This "now" safety direction, is just crazy.

Russ

Some people are making money out of this "industry" and will defend it until the cows come home.

Yep, you could ban ladders and send illegal ladder users to jail and save some lives but I doubt it.

Last time I had to adjust the roller-doors on my hangar, I had to use a chair on a table and I reckon a ladder would have been better.

Here's another safety thing gone insane, it's making my plane fly unnecessarily low in situations where nobody else would even be inconvenienced, let alone endangered, if I had an extra 2000 ft to have a safe glide away from the houses. It must have been done for safety reasons because CASA approve the airspace regime.

Here's another example... I gave a chuck-glider to my grandkids who flew it after school when it landed on a veranda gutter. It was just out of reach for a tall man and my daughter asked where a ladder was. This caused a panic among the school staff as the teacher who had ( no kidding) the only Ladder License could not be found.

I was talkng to a bloke who joined the SES, he left after about 5 minutes ( well longer than that, but 5 minutes sounds melodramatic). Anyway they were getting ladder instruction and the person holding the ladder had to call out loud what step number the person was on .

He walked out saying something about kinder garden. Anyway I have been told this story and I have not witnessed it myself so it may be crap.

That SES story sounds like some local tokel made the rules. I was in SES for many years. Vertical rescue being one of my claims to fame. I got out when the rules got so stupid it was getting dangerous. There is no common sense application nowadays. Just rules that you cannot bend.

My son stopped with the SES after he was one of 6 units at a dampened haystack fire when a big fire started 20k to the west. Well Melbourne refused them leave to move 4 or 5 units to the new fire.

These days we have 800 litres on the flat-top ute and another 1000 litres in the tank-trailer making 1800 litres which is the same as an SES truck, so now he goes to fires with his own gear and is free from management by idiots.

I like the idea of a high vis vest reaching up and strangling someone. Good basis for a horror movie. The Return of the vests.

It got caught in his concrete cutting machine.

That said, they (vests) do seem to have a mind of their own, inasmuch as it's like they will jump out and grab anything they can, from door handles to flight controls, pitot probes and static wicks.

Here's another example of overdone safety.. There is so much safety stuff on power tools these days that they are difficult to use. I reckon there is just so much you can put up with before you take the bloody guards off. This will make you liable for prosecution I guess but the job gets done.

There you go, this morning Chengdu to Chongqing Freeway, no signs, no lollipop men, no policemen, just a long line of witches hats gently tapering us down from 2 lanes and 120kmh down to a narrow lane and 40kmh naturally as no one wants to scrape their cars. it's narrower than it looks in this shot.

It works and it works very well.

[ATTACH]47829._xfImport[/ATTACH]

lane.thumb.jpg.2ebb6e7823b8d640214202b7619efe05.jpg

Here's another example of overdone safety.. There is so much safety stuff on power tools these days that they are difficult to use. I reckon there is just so much you can put up with before you take the bloody guards off. This will make you liable for prosecution I guess but the job gets done.

Yes, lots of places now require the switch to turn off as soon as you let it go. This makes it difficult at times to angle the device and still keep your finger or thumb on the switch.

Your finger gets sore after a while and you can't hold it in a more secure manner relative to the angle of use, which in the end is counterproductive.

Yes, turning off automatically is good if you drop it but a good grip/grasp with your finger off the switch, reduces the chance of dropping it.

Thinking of angle grinders here.....

Here's another example... I gave a chuck-glider to my grandkids who flew it after school when it landed on a veranda gutter. It was just out of reach for a tall man and my daughter asked where a ladder was. This caused a panic among the school staff as the teacher who had ( no kidding) the only Ladder License could not be found.

Statistics Concerning Ladder Dangers

• According to the World Health Organization, the United States leads the world in ladder deaths. Each year, there are more than 164,000 emergency room-treated injuries and 300 deaths in the U.S. that are caused by falls from ladders.

• Most ladder deaths are from falls of 10 feet or less.

• Falls from ladders are the leading cause of deaths on construction sites.

• Over the past decade, the number of people who have died from falls from ladders has tripled.

• Falls from ladders are the leading cause of ladder-related injuries, followed by using a ladder improperly, using a faulty or defective ladder, and simple carelessness.

And silly old buggers are the most likely to use a ladder and fall off it

Kaz

spacer.png

On this subject at our local airport we now have to have a amber flashing light on our vehicles to drive 20 metres to our hangars hazard lights are not good enough I guess if we don't have the amber light maybe we are a terrorist or maybe it's for the blind old pilots taxiing aircraft without Amber lights running into us ,there has never been a problem to warrant this not even a close call while they were at it they also banned push bikes and dogs while council owned hangars have sheets of iron missing from the roof doors you can't slide and toilets leaking water all over the floor also a plague of rabbits burrowing under the concrete floors.

On this subject at our local airport we now have to have a amber flashing light on our vehicles to drive 20 metres to our hangars hazard lights are not good enough I guess if we don't have the amber light maybe we are a terrorist or maybe it's for the blind old pilots taxiing aircraft without Amber lights running into us ,there has never been a problem to warrant this not even a close call while they were at it they also banned push bikes and dogs while council owned hangars have sheets of iron missing from the roof doors you can't slide and toilets leaking water all over the floor also a plague of rabbits burrowing under the concrete floors.

No money to fix the hangars.... it's all been spent on "safety"....

Hope the rabbits have their vests on..... and a "dig" permit.spacer.png

[ATTACH]47831._xfImport[/ATTACH]

rabbit.jpg.4dbbe999f8406a1e4db417befd577c63.jpg