Who do I get to do THE operation?

I've decided it's time to get THE operation. It's no good putting it off any longer. I realise that if I don't get it, I'll be the odd man out. The question is, "Who do I get to do it?" Do I get an orthopaedic surgeon to screw it to my hand? Do I get a plastic surgeon to implant earphnes into my ears? Or do I go to a colo-rectal surgeon and get it shoved up my rrs? I'm talking about my mobile phone. I'm sorry, but I object to being a slave to a tool.

It seems nowadays that you can't carry a mobile phone "just in case of emergency". If you have one, you must be able to be contacted at all times, and you must be able to answer its call instantly. And if you don't answer within three rings, all you'll know about the attempt is a record in your "Missed Calls" folder.

You have to be able to use the micro-sized keyboard to create a text message faster than a Court Reporter can get down a barrister's harangue. You must be able to capture live action by video as it happens and upload it to the Net before the dust has begun its gentle settling.

I've got an old 3G phone that I carry in a pouch on my belt. I've set it to ring and vibrate when a call comes in, but when you are driving a heavy vehicle with a diesel engine drumming its song underneath you, and your GPS device is telling you to "Go round the roundabout. Second Exit", it's a bit hard to hear or feel the phone going off. And when I get to my destination, I've usually got work to do unloading cargo or passengers, so I don't have the time to pull out the mobile and check for messages and missed calls, just on the off chance that someone has tried to contact me. So don't complain that I didn't answer your call. I've given you my landline number. Ring that. My missus will answer and you can tell her what you want me to do. She's always telling me where to go.

OME

Guest Deskpilot1

I'm with you OME. They're a pain in tha arrs, as you put it. I have one, about 10 years old and was only used when I was flying. Or rather, in case of an out field landing or a break-down on the motor way to the airfield. Only calls ever made on it were to inform the wife that I was down and safe.

Still have it but the battery's gone flat and the sim card has run out.

I really want to get rid of my smart phone...well...not get rid of it...just not replace it with a newer model. We never used to be chained to these loony things. And life was good. I really want to... don't know if I can though.

Well, I have a hammer and (sharp) chisel. It may not be painless, but it will be cheap......

downunder of course was the man I was going to recommend....

it's bound to be successful: you'll be in so much pain down there for the rest of your life, you'll never be able to perform again....

downunder of course was the man I was going to recommend....it's bound to be successful: you'll be in so much pain down there for the rest of your life, you'll never be able to perform again....

Well, I don't know if you're "on the ball" or if you "hit the nail on the head" with that one.

But I do know that even if santa still has presents in his sack, he won't be coming down the chimney no more.

Tell me about it, I've got two iPhones, one's mine and one's for work, two iPads, one for each work place, three PC's, one's mine and one for each work place, reckon I spend about an hour each day keeping them all up to date, charged, checking emails, messages etc., (not real good at catching stuff hiding in the cloud, but getting better)