Techie help HTTP stuff

Owi,

One is a THECUS and one is a SEAGATE.

They are used to store movies, so they are accessed from any device on my LAN. Well and backups of other stuff.

The computer to "put them there" and the PVR/s to play them.

So a USB HDD is not the best. Though one of the PVRs has a USB HDD plugged in as well.

Usage times are not fixed, so a schedule is not really viable.

One is a JBOD (3 TB) and one is RAID 2 - I think. (allowed disc failure). (5TB, 4 Usable).

As I have them, it is silly not to use them. But as I said: I can't see the logic in having them on 24/7 if they aren't used in that fashion. They are accessed for backup and movie access when I want to watch a movie.

USB HDD's would have the same "problem" with drive shut downs that you mentioned as the NAS ones, so I am confused why/how there is a difference in that part.

Hello FD,

I feel your frustration but you are going against one of the core ideas of what a NAS is about - an always on, centrally accessible file server.

I do think it *should* be possible to do what you ask and I think it could be done with a little programming. But I'm not a programmer and am unfamiliar with the Thecus capabilities. It might just be that it's not possible as, if it were, then Thecus (or their customers) might see it as not securing the device adequately from external malicious nasties.

Keep searching - maybe you'll find what you want, but it might be better to just simply press the power button on the box.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find a solution to your problem? I manage three NAS devices (24TB of data!) and set them up to turn off at 7pm and on at 7am. Save some power but mainly to protect them from the power failures that occurred out of hours far too frequently. Yea, I know, get a decent UPS you say. No money.