Techie help HTTP stuff

Dunno if I am pushing water up hill, but here is my "project":

NAS drives.

Turning them on is not difficult, but turning them off can be.

Some have a web page you can go to and click buttons to turn them off.

Ok, but is there a "cheat" where I can make a "script" so all I do it click an icon and it sends the commands to turn off the box.

Possible?

It is beyond me.

Although it may be "valid", I have my reasons.

If they are used maybe once a month for 2 hours then I can't see the reason to have them on for.......

24x7x4-2 hours of wasted energy.

24 x 28 - 2

670 hours.

There is also a lot of HEAT which is made and that is not good in summer when the temp is already 40 degrees.

It is a fire risk IMO.

Although it may be "valid", I have my reasons.

If they are used maybe once a month for 2 hours then I can't see the reason to have them on for.......

24x7x4-2 hours of wasted energy.

24 x 28 - 2

670 hours.

There is also a lot of HEAT which is made and that is not good in summer when the temp is already 40 degrees.

It is a fire risk IMO.

Hi FD,

Perhaps a NAS wasn't the ideal choice for your particular needs then? Perhaps a desktop USB HDD would have been a better choice? Or do you need to access it over the home network / internet?

As a NAS owner myself, I'm aware of some of the functionality built into some of these devices. Normally, you would access and manage these functions using your web browser.

You don't mention what make/model you have but a lot of them these days have the ability to set power schedules. For example, you can set up a schedule to have the NAS off during the day while you're out of the house and no-one's using it; power back up just before you arrive home (assuming you're pretty regular); and then power off while you're sleeping. Sure, this isn't true power off - its a low power / sleep mode - but it does consume much less power, generate less heat, etc than the standard operating mode.

Mine is flexible like that but I don't use it, as the act of spinning up/down the hard drives is quite taxing on the HDD platters and could cause HDD failure sooner than you'd like (I had a failure once, but thanks to RAID, I didn't lose any data and had the faulty drive replaced under warranty). Its really down to personal preference.

Maybe there's an idea for you? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Owi,

One is a THECUS and one is a SEAGATE.

They are used to store movies, so they are accessed from any device on my LAN. Well and backups of other stuff.

The computer to "put them there" and the PVR/s to play them.

So a USB HDD is not the best. Though one of the PVRs has a USB HDD plugged in as well.

Usage times are not fixed, so a schedule is not really viable.

One is a JBOD (3 TB) and one is RAID 2 - I think. (allowed disc failure). (5TB, 4 Usable).

As I have them, it is silly not to use them. But as I said: I can't see the logic in having them on 24/7 if they aren't used in that fashion. They are accessed for backup and movie access when I want to watch a movie.

USB HDD's would have the same "problem" with drive shut downs that you mentioned as the NAS ones, so I am confused why/how there is a difference in that part.

WTF?

I make movies, have slide shows of stuff and it is easier keeping it on a NAS.

And since when it is ILLEGAL to record shows off the TV and keep them for later viewing?

Don't make assumptions that are not founded on FACTS.

I asked a question and you read more into it that there is.

then I suggest you take your concerns to someone who cares.

I have bought "recorders" and have recorded a lot of shows.

If you are the authority to enforce that, then I suggest you start applying the rules to ALL people and not just me.

Dunno if I am pushing water up hill, but here is my "project":

NAS drives.

Turning them on is not difficult, but turning them off can be.

Some have a web page you can go to and click buttons to turn them off.

Ok, but is there a "cheat" where I can make a "script" so all I do it click an icon and it sends the commands to turn off the box.

Possible?

It is beyond me.

I expect that it's possible, but would probably be specific to the model of NAS box.

If you login to the web page of the NAS and find the shutdown button, you could copy that link and use it to make a shortcut.

Wether or not you could also pass the username and password to the NAS in that link is make/model specific, you'd have to trial and error it.

Does that help?

Darren

Flying Dog,

My son didn't get home until 11.30 the other night, and last night he went out to dinner. He did say that he was going to answer you via Facebook. I'll give him another nudge this evening.

When I first asked him he asked:

Flying Dog - I'm said Son. My question is simple, why would you want to turn the NAS off?

Being of the Y Generation, he still doesn't get the idea that people like to save energy by turning unused devices off. My power bill has dropped dramatically since he moved out!!.

I suppose the answer to his question is: "Because I want to. End of story". Now that you have given all that information about what storage devices you are using, he should be in a better position to help.

What is the name of the software that you are using to control them? That's more info that can help.

OME

I'm just telling you, you are breaking the law. If you chose to keep breaking the law that's your issue not mine.

Its not illegal to own a "bong" just illegal to use it to smoke "pot".

Don't do the crime, if you don't want to do the time. Think of the children.

OME,

The name of the software? They came with their own "O/S" and it gives me a web page.

I log into that web page and enter "my" username and password then get to a page with a shut down button.

I'm guessing they are running LINUX (or equivellant?) and so it shouldn't be that hard.

Just knowing if I use TELNET, PUTTY, SSH, (what ever) to do it and they syntax.

That's beyond me as I am only starting on that sort of thing.

Flying Dog,

Does your NAS have a power saving schedule? (Hibernation) spins down after a pre-set time of inactivity and spins up again when required, just a thought and a lot less hassle.

As for the OS question from OME its a valid question, how it could help I'm unsure however most NAS units have a couple of different ways for management, web interface as your using and connection managers such as RAIDar by Netgear.

Cheers