Aussies beat the yanks through inginuity (though it sounds like a Yorkshireman at the helm)

Better than Das Boot.

I'd love to have seen the reaction on the destroyer to a bit of classic Aussie Men at Work.

I wonder if our sub's captain's forebear got to Australia courtesy of a failed poaching outing one night in Blighty, cause our captain is a sneaky bugger.

• Like 1

I would have liked to see the reaction as well...

My son is showing sustained interest in undertaking a career as an officer in the military. IHe won't by able to fly with the RAAF as he is short-sighed - he could fly with the RAF, however, he is not shoing a great interest in flying as part of a military career.

My advice to him, as he is an Aussie citizen, is RMC Duntroon, as I rthink the training is better and he will end up with a degree; Sandhurst doesn't require a degree (I think they will subsidise one though - but pretty well have the same fees as Aus). Of sourse, he is saying he wants to serve his country, which is the UK as far as heis concerned (having lived all but from age 1 to 3 here), but I am glad I found the video.. to show him that there is some movement between the different countries forces so if he decided he preferred to work int he UK forces afterwards, there is usually transfer and excahnge programs...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

there is usually transfer and exchange programs...

Yes. My son-in-law is in the RAAF (Sqd Ldr) and has been talking about going to the RAF, or even the USAF, following his administrative work with the USAF in Afghanistan.

Going back to the video,  I like the way that the Captain and his 2-I-C spoke informally to each other when formality wasn't necessary. Sounds like that boat was a happy working environment.

• Like 1