The Sirens call- The cat, walrus, boffin and seadog.

Litespeed

I have suggested a Hookah for cleaning but a dive compressor has advantages as well.

Ideally a dive but they are more maintenance for safety. However we expect diving to become a regular thing, much better than hiring a tank when needed and that assumes a dive shop nearby. I would like both but dollars and space will decide, its my doppelgangers boat so he pays the piper. A modern electric two hose hookah is small and light enough to be even in a little inflatable or blow up ring, so not limited to the wild expanses of Walrus- unlike a petrol compressor. More of a tropical water issue though.

Electric will be solar with lots of space on the 14 x 7 ft cabin roof for flexible panels and Lithium Iron Phosphate battery cells down aft as well- for sea keeping, no Flybridge weight is wanted, so a small station will be on its back wall above the aft cabin. Combined with the 12 ft wide Lazzerette, the space exists for both if needed and huge amount of ultra long life battery. Expect 10,000 cycles minimum- no crap life lead, with bugger all current draw ability. Currently she has two starter battery making 90 amp/hr @24v and three 90 amp/hr @ 12v for ship systems. Bugger all since two of the ships died and the eff wit that wired it, ensured the two independant systems were not. So drained the starters bank as well. Bugger- the Perkins 120hp has no crank starting!. I managed to re wire the system to get enough to just run the starter. Lucky we were at anchor, a happy lesson rather than a major problem.

The Walrus was built in 1983 as a Southern Prawn trawler with single mast for a steady sail, but was never used under survey then converted to a cruiser two years from launch. The Gyro compass driven auto pilot was ancient even then and more 60's style. The electrics are a archaeological dig in the engine room and given the batteries all sit alongside the huge motor and are exposed- It aint no fun in a 4 foot high space crawling round doing stuff. I nor batteries appreciate the heat.

This will change and all batteries will leave the engine room for safety and longevity. Complete separate battery buses and such, so no power screw ups, last thing you need at sea is a dead power system and no way to start the engine. No generator is on board and one might get installed if its the right price and size. This is more for running power tools on 240v and emergency power only. No to be run daily when the solar set up is done. A wind generator is also on the cards as is a wave generator- which I will build. Essentially just a small electric outboard dc trolling motor on a smart generation circuit, when at anchor its free power and silent, a three phase brushless would be even better. The idea being complete power self sufficiency and ability to sit in place a week and not start the engine, currently that is daily at least for just lights, radios, Gps etc and little drain. A system of 10kw/hr would be nice battery set up- like a Tesla power wall but for boats.

The pillaging a Tesla for batteries idea is a sound one, even a Toyota as long as it was not a cab. They do not have LiFePh cells though, which are much easier too manage- not 100's of laptop cells. Just the same package as a 12 volt battery, but 1/3 rd the weight and double the actual power ability with 10 times the life. The role of lead acid battery and a classic wooden vessel is as ballast after been melted not for power. The ingots will be on ply to ensure they can't punch the hull planks and also will be secured with straps of bronze or stainless. 500 kg in chunks of lead shifting in a big sea is not appealing.

Such a electric system can easily also be recruited as a electric hybrid drive for times a start and warm up, fumes , noise etc are not warranted. The engine is loud and a side wet exhaust, which may change to a dry stack that is insulated for sound and gets the fumes up high. The engine and shaft coupling are solid mounted and these will change to suitable flex mounts in time, plus some proper sound insulation and comfort will be improved, under power. Silent running on electric in bays, harbors would be cool. Leaving dock at 2 am and not stirring the bilge rats is handy.

time will tell.

• 1 month later...

Ah the torture of been on a boat.

The view is bloody aweful.

And the shopping just to get some protein is a arduous task. Just take gloves, wear shoes and count you fingers.

Yesterday 15 blue swimmers and a awesome chilli jam cookup.

Who would guess I could have way too many big crabs to eat, so I am forced to give them away to those less fortunate ie landsmen.

Would post photos but the view is too big and might be overun by pirates.

Had to stop fishing, not enough cold storage.

Also found a new Octopussy for walrus's head but at two feet the bugger was a bit angry and strong like you would not believe.

The smart bugger was a Houdini grade escapologist and can open a bucket.

So returned to the blue to attack another day.

No way could you remove him if he grabbed your arm bar cutting him in pieces.

Oh also got squid a plenty but yet to catch a King fish.

Life is tough

• Like 2