Windows8

Can't get my head around windows8. Spent a total of six hours trying to download some EMS data for my Dynon Skyview. Took me forever to find it after it downloaded and when I eventually found it I had downloaded it 3 times! Anyone else having trouble figuring it out?

Support for XP was terminated by Microsoft this month - no more updates. You will have to go to Win 7 at least. Do some online research, there are pitfalls.

Running Mozilla net products and aftermarket antivirus, drive partitioned, etc etc - I neither need nor want Microsloth updates! When I get a spare month it'll be Linux time...

Running Mozilla net products and aftermarket antivirus, drive partitioned, etc etc - I neither need nor want Microsloth updates! When I get a spare month it'll be Linux time...

I run xp on my macpro under parallels and my imac with xp in bootcamp works like a treat i use win7 where i work and i put up with it but funny enough 7 lets you run xp as a virtual machine and that is a download from microsloth shows that even microsloth thinks their win7 still cant cut the mustard

I've been running XP since 2005 & have had all updates turned off. It still performs better than any other XP (or Vista, W7, W8) powered machine with all the ridiculous windows updates. Most are just fixes to the original flaky OS or to counteract threats to an OS with poor levels of security. Office 2002 or whatever the pre 2007 version is, still has more functions than 99% of office users need. I only use free virus protection (Avast). I'll be migrating to Linux (Ubuntu) even before my Dell D600 finally gives up the ghost. There will be no virus problems with a plus being that I will gain several gigabytes of disk space with a more useable & free operating system. Microsoft sucks.

I run xp on my macpro under parallels and my imac with xp in bootcamp works like a treat i use win7 where i work and i put up with it but funny enough 7 lets you run xp as a virtual machine and that is a download from microsloth shows that even microsloth thinks their win7 still cant cut the mustard

I don't think W7 / W8 are for professional work - XP rests on 2K, which traces its lineage back to NT - which was not seamless, but was a b***y powerful work tool. Microsoft was the worst thing to happen to DR-DOS...

I don't think W7 / W8 are for professional work - XP rests on 2K, which traces its lineage back to NT - which was not seamless, but was a b***y powerful work tool. Microsoft was the worst thing to happen to DR-DOS...

I agree; someone is going to become a billionaire coming up with a competitor for business/adults.

Just to be able to put your key in the ignition without being asked do you really want to do this or finding for your convenience that this week you need to unscrew the left rear tyre valve, turn the headlights on twice and then hit the brake to start it wuld be good.

Or you go to put the key in only to find the dash has changed overnight and no longer has a keyh0le, but has a pocket for carrying a single day old egg.

[ATTACH=full]28733[/ATTACH] I"ve been using linux mint16 ... better than ubuntu. I refuse to use windoz hate

regards keith

ta, I'll check it out... I've got investment in W2k apps (or I wouldn't be with Microsloth now!); will it run a shell, or is dual boot going to be the solution?

I currently run a non-web-connected box for most work, set up for speed (ie fast (tiered) hdd configuration, low security); and a web box that is ultimately sacrificable. It's be nice to have a similar level of security, workstation performance, and the convenience of a single system!

If you still need / have invested in MS-only software, and still have the install media for both XP (or 2000) and your installed software, you can install them in a virtual machine running on any Linux distro. Install Linux, then virtualbox (free download from www.virtualbox.org), then install your MS environment into a virtual machine (VM).

Once installed, you can take a snapshot of the VM so that if the VM ever gets corrupted or virus infected, simply blow away the VM with a restore from your snapshot.

Once you're running Linux, have a look through the software repositories and I think you'll be surprised at how much open source (& free!) software there is - the only software I've paid for in the past 5 years is AVPlan on my iPad! At work I have to use Win7, and I find it very frustrating!

There are a LOT of Linux distro's out there - personally I use kubuntu, which is the ubuntu distro with the KDE desktop, as I just couldn't get my head around the Unity desktop which is standard with Ubuntu - too 'Fisher-Price' for me. Linux Mint and Suse are also great distro's.