The thief in your pocket - Iphone Question!

So Doug, you fly from Bunnings to McDonalds, on to Hungry Jacks, wait , bit of a blackspot here until we get to the Shell roadhouse half way to the next town. Then buildings on the horizon, soon be able to check the radar again!

Man got too eat ,,, no I use 3G with my iPad & 4 g iPhone have 8 gig plan $39 month on iPad & 1.5 on iPhone. But only use iPad in plane as iPhone too small too read. ! Have no problem I use ozrunway & to talk to too the missis on face time with iPhone works great for me , was thinking more in the line of doing ya down load there wail ya eat won't burn up your data that way !

Doug

How does it deliver it's 2Gb monthly data allowance then, I would like to read the link you got this info from before I sign up.

Telstra have a number of ways of delivering phone/ data. 3G is on the higher freq prob 1800/2100 MHz and their nextg service is the old 850 MHz system. Just have a look at a telstra coverage maps both 3G and nextg. We were in Kununurra for some years and you had 3G in the town and out at Argyle it was nextg, same for Timber creek but they had no 3G only nextg so if you were on boost you would not have phone/data there but if on telstra you would. Again look at telstra coverage maps for both systems to see what I mean.

Cheers

Had a look at Boost and it appears you have to recharge yourself every month. i.e. not able to set-up ongoing automatic direct debit or credit card payments.

Is this correct?

Yes you have to renew monthly but to save $60 a month off Telstra's own product I can do that, you do receive an sms a couple days prior. Pay on website, if you choose the payment details can be held and protected by a pin.

The Boost is 3G and does use ALL Telsta's assets/towers.

Another benefit. if you have a sim iPad you can buy 500mb for 5 days for $10 to go on that flight then leave dormant till next flight although if you don't use it for an extended period it may cease, need to clarify when you ring.

Does an ipad sim have a phone number attached to it? The ipad has all the electronics to use as a phone, only the firmware won't allow this.

Yes they do have a SIM card and yes u can use like a phone via app such as Skype FaceTime and other app s but will work better via wifi set up .....

A firmware hack that make use of all the circuitry would get a bit of traction with occasional mobile users like me who see sparingly on small screens, I could tolerate the larger format of an ipad mini for my odd voice call to just be able to read my SMS without digging out my glasses. Retina screen is a lot better than anything else I have used to date, but just bugs me that the functionality is locked away from users by the firmware!

Have been trying to some clarity around options and a bit confused by the comments here on next G, 3G and 4G.

My partner's Iphone is just off plan so spoke to Telstra this morning. Options are stay paying $59 per month not locked in and have 1.5G data. Can't remember the call limit but no drama as she never exceeds it. Other option with Telstra is now go on the bring you own phone plan and pay $55 per month with $700 in calls and 1.5G data but locked in for 12 months. So not really worth changing to a locked in contract for $4 a month saving.

Boost look good for $40 month, unlimited calls and 1.5G data. As stated Boost utilises Telstra 3G for it's service.

Telstra tell me that 4G allows faster internet data than 3G but makes no difference regarding phone calls so living in regional area no problem as most data used at home on wifi. So Boost still looking good.

As for next G it appears it refers to the whole of Telstra's 3G network. This link seems to provide a good explanation.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles/What-s-the-difference-between-3G-Next-G-and-4G/td-p/1106