The thief in your pocket - Iphone Question!

So what causes an iphone that was happy for two days downloading from wifi, to suddenly turn and bite it's pre-paid owner with a $66 dollar gouge in about fifteen minutes. No warning it had switched until the dirty little low credit warning. Gotta hate technology, if people behaved like our gadgets you wouldn't let them in your house!

It may have been updates.

My daughter helpfully found out my wife hadn't updated her phone regularly, so downloaded all the updates, and we received a $200 bill from Telstra, for the use above the monthly allowance. They later withdrew this after accepting the cause.

Better to update through the desk top, or once a month.

When the wifi signal is lost it will automatically revert to the pre-paid phone signal for internet data if both are turned on.

I think you need to turn off the "mobile data" button.

The tablet I'm on now has a pre-paid data package so is quite cheap. If your phone has at "talk and text" package then your data may be very expensive per MB.

If you don't want to use internet other then wifi you can switch it off by going

Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data (slide button to the left)

If your just worried about certain apps using your mobile internet, them further down on the same menu you should see a list of all your apps which can be turned off from accessing your cellular data.

Also make sure auto updates over cellular is switched off by

Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> Use Cellular Data (slide to the left to turn off)

Hope that helps

My iPhone only has 1 gig per month. Home has 100 gig per month. My phone is set up so that it doesn't up date automatically. So by the time I get home after my two week stint at work, I normally have 3 or 5 updates. I update at home via wifi with the 100 gig

The thieves that concern me most now are the ones who run a video Advertisement the second you go onto their site.

Don't know about Oz but in China the a'holes ring you mostly in the middle of the night just long enough not to ring your phone but leaves you with a 'missed call'.

When you ring them back it starts a recorded advert message that you just paid for and they use random numbers so you don't know if it's genuine missed call or not.

If you don't want to use internet other then wifi you can switch it off by going

Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data (slide button to the left)

If your just worried about certain apps using your mobile internet, them further down on the same menu you should see a list of all your apps which can be turned off from accessing your cellular data.

Also make sure auto updates over cellular is switched off by

Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> Use Cellular Data (slide to the left to turn off)

Hope that helps

Thanks, that is what I needed, at 6.25 yesterday morning. I have been stung by my Nokia before setting up Ovi maps, I should have been smarter.

The thieves that concern me most now are the ones who run a video Advertisement the second you go onto their site.

The whole internet service provion industry is at a tipping point at the moment, just like they were when dial-up became over-subscribed. They don't have enough bandwidth for everyone to run their five wifi devices throughout the whole house as they have promoted for the last five or six years and the web designers are squandering download at unprecedented rates. This leaves us caught in a sort of digital bracket creep where our previosly useful internet plans are fast becoming useless. In dial-up the solution was unlimited plans but they seem to be the luxury of the few who can access non-Telstra ADSL2+ providers, not coming to a regional exchange near you, anytime soon.

Telstra shop couldn't tell me how much they rip me off for data on my pre-paid, but they gave me a number for an under-paid asian lady who earned her bowl of rice by telling me I was charged $2.00 per Mb as long as my credit lasted, She got my reaction for free, call it her bonus!

Click on your modem icon

Click on tools

Click on My Account; another window will come up

Click on My Balance and you will see what $ are still available and how many megabits are still available it also shows the cost per Megabit

For budgeting purposes I check the balance before work each day, and for the same work the usage is much the same; in my case about $8.00 per night, or around $2000.00 per year!

When recharging I buy the biggest block and pay 1.46 cents per Megabit.

Use Telstra Boost (google it), Unlimited calls and text and 2gig date on Telstra Network - $40 p/mth - sweet:oh yeah:

That looks like what I need Mick, I logged into my account last night and discoverd they have relieved me of $87 in the last thiry days for data I thought I was using off my internet plan. My Nokia was doing too before I started with this iPhone, I was just too busy to notice.

Does it's unlimited talk include to mobile numbers or only fixed lines?

Unlimited to Mobile and land lines and full Telstra Network. I am told the ALDI plan also with Telstra does not utilise all Telstra Towers more just Hi Density areas ????

http://www.boost.com.au/Home.aspx?gclid=CPLDy8qtz70CFcFhpQodPHYAow

Had a look at Boost and it appears you have to recharge yourself every month. i.e. not able to set-up ongoing automatic direct debit or credit card payments.

Is this correct?

Louie I think you are right, need a credit card ready. All last months payment is lost if you recharge early so don't get caught by that. I talked to them this morning and number portability from telstra is quite doable too. Amazing that Telstra can sell service to these wholesalers so cheap that they can out compete like this but they persist with outright extortion when dealing with their retail customers.

There are a lot of Optus towers out here now, but the unhappy Optus customers nearly out-number the unhappy Telstra customers.